Discuss Setting out opinion wanted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SB4U

Hi. This is probably a no brainer for you guys but I'm unsure of the best way to set out 300x600 tiles in a shower room that's about 2370 square. I've attached a pic for your perusal. Would you go with the top set or the bottom set? (Or something else entirely?)

The top set is with centralising a tile in the centre of the wall so that there's a pretty much equal cut on both sides. The bottom set is putting a full tile at one side which would make for a tiny trim at the other side. It seems like it would be nice to have less cuts plus there would also be only one vertical grout line on both walls in the shower area (Wall #3 and #4 on the pic.)

The vertical setting out seems to make the top of a tile line up with the bottom of the window on Wall #1 and the bottom of a tile line up with the top of the doorframe on Wall #4. Do you reckon that's a doable way of setting that out?

(The box on Wall #2 is a mirror by the way)

Steve

upload_2015-7-28_14-29-9.png

O

Old Mod

In basic terms, go for bottom setting out.
Always strive for biggest cuts possible, this makes any variation in verticals wall line less noticeable.
A window is always the very first thing u see in a room sub consciously because our eyes are drawn to the brightest source of light. So your window is of paramount importance. Get that right and most other small mistakes will go un noticed.
Yes your horizontal line, bottom of window, top of door is very possible.
When it comes to top and sides of the window if u are able to fit full tiles and have enough room in the window frame to back fill the void between the tile edge and reveal this will give a perfect window look with no cuts.
With the bottom door set out u could look at full tile from right side of door instead of left corner, this will produce a bigger cut left side of door.
But these finer details are hard to covey in a general msg like this, maybe u'd be better dealing with window and mirror wall first then come come back with more detailed pics with measurements for the other two.
If u are going to tackle one wall at a time, then be particular with the tile spacing in the corners on the horizontal plane!
Otherwise u can crush your spacers and when u tile the adjacent wall the tile joints will not meet exactly.

S

SJPurdy

As above, the lower drawings.
Make sure you centre on the window if possible even if it means trimming into both corners (which you should do anyway unless it is the tiniest slither of one side only).
I would recommend tiling all the walls up to the window sill line (window wall first) before going higher

S

SB4U

Thanks for the replies fellas.

@3_fall I'm not sure what you mean by this:
When it comes to top and sides of the window if u are able to fit full tiles and have enough room in the window frame to back fill the void between the tile edge and reveal this will give a perfect window look with no cuts.
or what you mean by crushing the spacers. Could you re-explain. Pretend you're talking to someone with a very low IQ and you won't go far wrong.

@SJPurdy I'm intrigued as to why you recommending tiling all the walls up to the window sill line rather than a wall at a time.

O

Old Mod

Like I say the finer points are difficult to convey but I'll try.
The reason SJ suggests tiling all the way round at the same time is that it's pretty much a fool proof way of keeping all your work level.
That's how I was taught to tile many years ago. I still do it on occasion but there's generally a specific reason other than keeping levels.
SJ is correct, definitely centre window exactly, whether it leave two fiddly nipped tiles either end. U can cover those cuts with adjacent wall tiling.
The window, we've established that u have a full tile at bottom sill.
If u can pull it up 5mm above the highest point of the sill if it's not exactly level. Don't go for spot on with the sill, u'll probably miss!
If you're slightly high when u fit the sill tile u'll get a perfect meeting of tiles.
As far as sides and top goes, from your drawing there is the smallest of cuts of the side reveals and the soffit (top)
Place a full tile on one side first (no adhesive) and see where it aligns with your window frame. If there is enough width in the frame itself before the glass u can fit full tiles, when they are set then backfill between the leading edge of the tile and the reveal effectively making a new window reveal or Soffit.
Hope that is clearer for u.

O

Old Mod

No problem!
Just don't back fill completely flush!
Otherwise when u fit reveal tile it'll be proud and produce an unwanted large joint between wall tile and reveal tile.
That's bad English haha
But u get the idea I'm sure!:D

S

SB4U

Just got home from work and placed the tiles on the windowsill to check. There's actually about 40mmm gap each side with the tiles centrally positioned. So even estimating a 6mm bed under the 9mm tile that leaves about 25mm gap. Can't backfill that much because there's not enough on the window frame. Would you still go with the bottom set of drawings for the window wall with that in mind?

upload_2015-7-28_19-7-40.png

O

Old Mod

Well it's even more important to keep the window centralised then, I feel.
With small pieces like that they would be exaggerated if it was not centred.
Yes I personally would still go with bottom set of drawings, aesthetically as u walk in the room, the window wall will look correct.
And the small cut at the sill edge won't be noticeable enough to make it look unsightly, unfortunate yes, but sacrifices nearly always have to be made somewhere.
But the final finish is purely subjective anyway, what I like certainly won't be to the taste of some others, and that's a fact!
The reason I know this is because given the choice, I would outlaw the production of anything resembling a Metro Tile!:D
So it falls on you ultimately to make that choice, but I feel that the majority of fixers would opt for the bottom drawings, regardless of the small cut in the window.
Make life a little easier by cutting the small piece in first and cut the reveal tile on to it, even though it may be a full tile.

C

cassie

Bottom drawings all day long mate. It's always good to ask if you don't know. Don't fear what you don't know. Remember FEAR is: False Evidence Appearing Real. Forget FEAR! If you're local to me pop in fro a free class. the offer still stands.

S

SB4U

Thanks for the confirmation @3_fall. I'll do that then. Seems a shame to put such iddy biddy teeny weeny tiles next to a couple of behemoths but as you say, gotta compromise somewhere.

@cassie I like the FEAR acronym. I'll probably use that at work tomorrow. And thanks for the offer of the lesson. You're a bit far away from Brighton otherwise I'd take you up on it for sure.

O

Old Mod

New Thanks for the confirmation @3_fall. I'll do that then. Seems a shame to put such iddy biddy teeny weeny tiles next to a couple of behemoths but as you say, gotta compromise somewhere.
U can always pull out the reveal as much as u feel is sensible, and by the time u add a silicone joint it may all but disappear, it's a bit of a judgement call on your part really.

S

SB4U

Indeed. If there was enough window frame I'd put some plasterboard on the reveals or something but there's not enough there unfornately. The tiles I ripped off had a 5cm cut tile running down the middle of the wall. (Not done by me of course!) Every time I looked at it it bothered me. So anything will be better than that I'm sure.

I'll tile up to the bottom of the windowsill like you and SJ suggested and have another look when I'm there and perhaps take some pics and hit you up for advice again if that's ok. You mentioned earlier to try to aim to finish about 5mm above the windowsill rather than bang on it. I'd intended to use trim on the edges of the reveals so that would still work ok would it?

O

Old Mod

If you're using trim then u can reduce it a little, u just don't want to fall short, it'll be a headache u don't need.

S

Spare Tool

Well it's even more important to keep the window centralised then, I feel.
With small pieces like that they would be exaggerated if it was not centred.
Yes I personally would still go with bottom set of drawings, aesthetically as u walk in the room, the window wall will look correct.
And the small cut at the sill edge won't be noticeable enough to make it look unsightly, unfortunate yes, but sacrifices nearly always have to be made somewhere.
But the final finish is purely subjective anyway, what I like certainly won't be to the taste of some others, and that's a fact!
The reason I know this is because given the choice, I would outlaw the production of anything resembling a Metro Tile!:D
So it falls on you ultimately to make that choice, but I feel that the majority of fixers would opt for the bottom drawings, regardless of the small cut in the window.
Make life a little easier by cutting the small piece in first and cut the reveal tile on to it, even though it may be a full tile.
Now and again its tricky to get the window central no matter what you do, centre the window in this and you got a 50mm cut up the side of the wall hung toilet, or move it on half a tile and its a 50mm up each side of the window, now and again it just don't fall right, ran each option by the customer and they picked this one..
WP_20150727_16_27_27_Pro.jpg

Reply to Setting out opinion wanted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay