Discuss Self Leveling onto plywood in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

danmasey

iv been asked to tile my dads kitchen floor which has had a small extension. The levels are not perfect and there is a slight dip in places. We have 25mm ply down but the dips are still visible. The tiles are marble and im worried i wont be able to smooth out uneven parts with just adhesive. Can we use any type of self leveling compound onto of the ply?

any help would be great.

Dan

Reaction score
Hi & Welcome,

I reckon you're gonna be asked a lot more questions about your prep work/materials/process etc from the regulars...

But 1st thing for me would be that I would be overboarding the ply with a tilebacker board. I never tile on ply & use Hardi. And especially if you're laying marble

S

swanman

You can use a flexible leveling compound it has fibres in the mix that would be okay

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi dan,the ply as you have said wont level the floor you will need to slc it

make sure its suitable for plywood and check the minimum depth thickness some state 10mm minimum

were you planning on just filling the dips and feathering it off or levelling right over the entire substrate?

has the ply been butt jointed also? just to check

M

Mike

i never tile direct to ply, i'd overboard with 6mm hardi or similar as martyn has already said, then a flexible slc

P

peckers

There are plenty off questions that could be thrown in as you are laying marble tiles onto a wooden floor, but to keep it simples and to answer the question in hand yes there are suitable slc's that can go onto ply, but as some have mentioned in using a tile backer board also. I would put the slc onto the ply and then use a tile backer board so as the floor is flat under the tile backer board therefor minimising any risk off deflection under the backer board and making it easier to install.

S

Stef

You could try Weber FloorFlex, its minimum depth is 10mm over wood though.

Or try Mapei Renovation Screed, minimum 3mm over wood.

D

danmasey

i was planning on SLC the whole area not just the dips in the floor. Also had planned to use tile backer boards which i guess ill have to use adhesive as screws may crack the slc underneath?? Was never planning on tiling onto the ply wood. a quick side question, when sticking down the tile backer boards with adhesive, what size trowel / bed would be best to use?

P

peckers

i was planning on SLC the whole area not just the dips in the floor. Also had planned to use tile backer boards which i guess ill have to use adhesive as screws may crack the slc underneath?? Was never planning on tiling onto the ply wood. a quick side question, when sticking down the tile backer boards with adhesive, what size trowel / bed would be best to use?
The screws will go threw the slc fine, as to size off notch trowel to use follow the tile backer board instructions but generally i use a 6mm solid bed trowel for a flat floor.

M

Mike

i use a 6mm notched trowel . i'd screw the boards down too, a turbogold screw or similar will go through the slc easy enough

S

Stef

Mike, i queried about screws before & got told to use stainless steel screws.

I bought turbo stainless from screwfix?

I take it you can just use turbo golds?

Reply to Self Leveling onto plywood in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks