Search the forum,

Discuss sealing terracotta outdoors spain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Located in Southern Spain we have approx 55 msq terracotta - 3 outdoor terraces; topfloor; exposed to all weather extremes sun/rain etc. The tiles have a smooth surface & there is an inset glazed border too but they are awful to keep clean - they attract & hold dust & there is some limescale deposit (from a leaking plant watering system pooling in areas) We'd like a sealed surface & to just be able to mop them down. It would be good to find a once and for all solution though most people we've asked say it will be an ongoing labour. Need help sourcing a cleaner to get rid of the limescale (we've tried quite a few products but none have worked well) and a sealant. Fired Earth recommended Thompsons waterproof sealant. Various DIY sites recommend HG Impregnating Sealant OR Aquamix products (Sealers Choice 15 Gold) OR various Tile Doctor products (Tile Doctor site) There's huge price differences with the Thompsons stuff cheapest BUT if we take a product out to Espana & it doesn't do the job we are stuck.....until we next take the car out/next year!! Help & advice much appreciated

G

GazTech

Welcome to the forums.
Kev (tiling logistics) & Gary (highlander) are both well up on sealants for different applications, they will advise you...Gaz

W

wetdec

Linseed is the answer but not sure about Spain.

Have a look for ltp ironwax (ltp-online ) its top stuff for clays becareful tho that you dont allow it to bubble on the surface as they will stay there when its dry.

tiler

P

pjtiler

ive used drai for years and still do
in this country and in hot climates without a problem
8a16_1.JPG

T

TilingLogistics

Located in Southern Spain we have approx 55 msq terracotta - 3 outdoor terraces; topfloor; exposed to all weather extremes sun/rain etc. The tiles have a smooth surface & there is an inset glazed border too but they are awful to keep clean - they attract & hold dust & there is some limescale deposit (from a leaking plant watering system pooling in areas) We'd like a sealed surface & to just be able to mop them down. It would be good to find a once and for all solution though most people we've asked say it will be an ongoing labour. Need help sourcing a cleaner to get rid of the limescale (we've tried quite a few products but none have worked well) and a sealant. Fired Earth recommended Thompsons waterproof sealant. Various DIY sites recommend HG Impregnating Sealant OR Aquamix products (Sealers Choice 15 Gold) OR various Tile Doctor products (Tile Doctor site) There's huge price differences with the Thompsons stuff cheapest BUT if we take a product out to Espana & it doesn't do the job we are stuck.....until we next take the car out/next year!! Help & advice much appreciated

I think for this job I would just be going with Aqua Mix Penetrating Sealer. I don't think i would go to the expense of Sealers Choice Gold. Although it is a premium sealer. To clean the limescale I would use Aqua Mix Extreme. The above products will work the only caveat is Penetrating Sealer will probably need reapplying in 3/4 Years where as Sealers Choice Gold is OK for 12-15 Years,:thumbsup:

Kev

F

Fred

I think for this job I would just be going with Aqua Mix Penetrating Sealer. I don't think i would go to the expense of Sealers Choice Gold. Although it is a premium sealer. To clean the limescale I would use Aqua Mix Extreme. The above products will work the only caveat is Penetrating Sealer will probably need reapplying in 3/4 Years where as Sealers Choice Gold is OK for 12-15 Years,:thumbsup:

Kev

Is there a link so I can do some reading please..................:hurray:

D

DEtileD

Ok, i have a place in southern spain and the tiles i have had the same problem...they weren't real terracotta though...
Is it REAL terracotta or ceramic made to look like terracotta?

Reply to sealing terracotta outdoors spain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen