Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing an Indian Sandstone patio (100m sq.) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

youngmml

Hi, Lithofin MN Stainstop appears to be the professionals' recommendation for sealing this stone. 1) Am I right? 2) Can I ask for help to find best suppliers? 3) The lowest price I saw on the internet was est. £137 for a 5L tin. Does that seem about right?

O

Olz

Hi, Lithofin MN Stainstop appears to be the professionals' recommendation for sealing this stone. 1) Am I right? 2) Can I ask for help to find best suppliers? 3) The lowest price I saw on the internet was est. £137 for a 5L tin. Does that seem about right?

£137 is about right retail, tile shops should be able to get it for you, but will probably have to order the 5l tin.

Y

youngmml

Thank you Oli. I have a PORCELANOSA showroom closeby. I'll try there. Can you or any other forum members please offer advice on how I should apply this sealant. I searched for information on the method and can't easily find the answer or info. on the tools I need. Also, as it seems quite expensive I want to make sure that, when I cover a large area like this, I don't over do it.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Sand stone is highly absorbent, have a look at the LTP or stone fix range of products. they do an oil which is suitable foe sand stone. It will easily absorb 2 or 3 coats prior to saeling with an an impregnator.
The oil will also enhance the colour prioir to sealing

E

enduro

I use a paint pad to apply sealers, try to get a good one, Dulux or harris, they are not alot of money and i find its the best way to get an even coat onto the stone.

Y

youngmml

Thanks again. Then, "paint pad" it is!

Tina, thanks for your reply also. Do I understand you correctly? Are you suggesting that 2-3 coats of either of the suggested "oils" beforehand will mean that afterwards the sandstone will naturally absorb less "sealant", therefore requiring me to apply less of it; minimising the cost of the expensive StainStop? In other words, if I don't apply oil beforehand, I use much more StainStop sealant than is necessary.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Thanks again. Then, "paint pad" it is!

Tina, thanks for your reply also. Do I understand you correctly? Are you suggesting that 2-3 coats of either of the suggested "oils" beforehand will mean that afterwards the sandstone will naturally absorb less "sealant", therefore requiring me to apply less of it; minimising the cost of the expensive StainStop? In other words, if I don't apply oil beforehand, I use much more StainStop sealant than is necessary.

hi essentially yes ! Most sandstone will "eat " sealer
This is only from my experience, some may disagree.
the added benefit is that the oil brings out a lovely colour.

C

craig t

I prefer the aquamix range of products and sealing 100m2 of patio could be very time consuming and costly if done incorrectly. Where are you based?, have a look at some of the other posts on this part of the forum lots of "tilers" seem to be incorrectly sealing all types of stone floors, which in turn leads the customers to come on here looking for advice.

My advice, get a recommended professional in to do the job, with a written estimate and insurance. This way if there are any problems your covered!

A

auntie_prawn

Hi there -
I have a small area of fossil stone to seal / protect.

I just wanted to clarify my understanding - does it make sense to apply a couple of coats of LTP stone oil and then Lithofin Stain Stop on top?

THanks,
Prawns

Reply to Sealing an Indian Sandstone patio (100m sq.) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen