Discuss Rubi Ts-50 Plus in the For-sale and Wanted area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

trogre

Hi All. Well I purchased a tile cutter ready when I need to cut my tiles for bathroom.

Not a new cutter but looks like it has only done one job as now I have cleaned it up it looks like new, cost £100 so well pleased with the price.

It has 2 scoring wheels which came with it and they seem to measure 10mm across and they have been used. One has Rubi 27 on it and the other Rubi 33. I am only cutting 330 x 250 x 8 mm ceramic so I will purchase a new 6mm scoring wheel. In fact I will purchase 2 while I am at it. For once Topps seem the cheapest price, well I think they are. 2 x Rubi Widia 6mm scoring wheels £14.18 for store collection.

The only point is I have not seen the Words “Rubi Widia” anywhere else but Topps tiles so wondering if they are in fact the genuine article? If not I will purchase 2 from someone like tradetiler.

One other point, the manual is all but useless and not sure about installing the scoring wheel. From what I have seen on YouTube videos the scoring wheel shaft sticks out of the top of the tool holder by about 1/8" (3mm).

Does not seem to be any specific way to set the depth of scoring wheel.

Thanks for any help

P

p4ulo

You set the depth of your scoring wheel according to the depth of the tiles you are cutting.
Place your tile on the cutting bed, and adjust the depth of the wheel so it scores all the way across the tile and off the end (you'll see what I mean!)
It goes in the hole and you rotate the handle to lock into it.
Topps wheels are fine.

T

Tile Shop

"Widia" is used by rubi alot. But there is no direct translation (at least not in google translate) so it could be the range name for the wheels and other cutting items? I dunno..... I'll ask next time I see the rep, cuz now i'm intrigued!

But as a general rule the 10mm are for ceramic floor tiles and the 6mm for ceramic walls, and 8mm for anything porcelain. But 10mm will work ok if you don't apply too much pressure. If you do squeeze too hard, you may find it chips a little too much because of the angle of the cutting edge.

So they are genuine, but as for what the numbers mean..... again, I dunno. I'll ask next time i see the rep cuz........... deja vu!

T

trogre

Thanks for your answers. I will get the scoring wheels from Topps.
Just a useless bit of info.
On Rubi Spanish site the name Widia comes up but translation is very slow to english.
Also read this and although developed for carpenters the meaning no doubt applies to rubi scoring wheels.

Developed technology leading to the first affordable carbide-tipped blades for carpenters.
Carbide was invented in Germany in the 1920s. Easily machined, super hard, and able to hold an edge, its potential was quickly apparent. It was introduced at an industrial fair in 1927 and bore the trade name "Widia," meaning "like diamonds."
Nothing like a bit of useless bit of info:p

I

Italy

Thanks for your answers. I will get the scoring wheels from Topps.
Just a useless bit of info.
On Rubi Spanish site the name Widia comes up but translation is very slow to english.
Also read this and although developed for carpenters the meaning no doubt applies to rubi scoring wheels.

Developed technology leading to the first affordable carbide-tipped blades for carpenters.
Carbide was invented in Germany in the 1920s. Easily machined, super hard, and able to hold an edge, its potential was quickly apparent. It was introduced at an industrial fair in 1927 and bore the trade name "Widia," meaning "like diamonds."
Nothing like a bit of useless bit of info:p
in Italy is said widia , diamond or widiam, those sigma are covered with tungsten

Reply to Rubi Ts-50 Plus in the For-sale and Wanted area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks