Search the forum,

Discuss Removing self leveller and Ditra from plywood floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so they popped off easily enough. I’m now confronted with a layer of tile adhesive, a layer of self levelling compound of varying thickness (6-12mm) covering electric underfloor heating mat which is on top of ditra mat. The ditra mat is stuck to plywood with a vinyl type glue you’d use for lino. There are cracks everywhere going through both adhesive and self levelling compound but is stuck well to Ditra. I need to get back to plywood and if that is stable then install insulation board to ply, followed by UFH and then tile.

As the timers will know getting all this up is a nightmare! Currently I’m cutting 110mm channels (the width of chisel) into the floor and then using a small breaker to get under Ditra and gun it up, but it’s taking forever!

Just wondered if anyone out there had experience of this and had a better method, or could recommend the best type of SDS Max chisel they’ve used for this sort of thing. Would it be better to use a bigger breaker, one you use standing up? At the moment it feels more difficult and time consuming to break SLC free from Ditra first and then get under Ditra hence why I’m currently persisting with small hand held breaker.

Would love some advice, I’m knackered!

Thanks.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
UFH is on top of the ditra? In this setup ditra should of been the last thing put down before tiling.

Removal is always a chore and difficult process. Might be easier to make a hole through it all so you can get under the ply and pry it up that way.
For the sake of replacing the ply at additional cost, be a lot quicker. Chances are when you get down to the ply it will be fubar anyway.

Curious also as to why all your adhesive and SLC has crack too. Could these cracks be the joints of the ply substrate?

Reaction score
I’ve done this type of thing swinging a mattock once you’ve made a hole through the ply. This in conjunction with a 3 foot gorilla bar actually goes quite quickly.

Reaction score
I’ve done this type of thing swinging a mattock once you’ve made a hole through the ply. This in conjunction with a 3 foot gorilla bar actually goes quite quickly

Reply to Removing self leveller and Ditra from plywood floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen