Search the forum,

Discuss removing old adhesive and grout from enamel bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mwebber.82

Hi,

I'm re-tiling the splashback above my bath, but the last clown that lived here covered the edge of the bath in front of the tiles with adhesive and grout. The mess sits out beyond the the level of the tiles, and therefore the only way to hide it will be to use a rather nasty looking bath trim.

Any ideas for how to remove it? I'd prefer not to just scratch it with a blade for fear of damaging the enamel, but I'm not sure what else to do! Are there any products that will clear the old adhesive without damaging the enamel?

Thanks!

C

cornish_crofter

Could try a clean peice of pine wood to knock them off

I can second that. I've done that loads of times.

Knock the larger bits off with the wood, tapping it gently with a mallet or hammer (in the absence of either, the head of the previous owner will do :D),

Then, get some warm/hot water with some non abrasive detergent in and use a cheap sponge with a rough surface (cheap washing up sponge will do - I can buy 10 for £1 at my local hardware shop). Chances are he's used crap tubbed adhesive so cleaning it off shouldn't be a problem.

Keep replacing the water with clean hot water as you go.

Finally a Jayes cloth or similar to wipe the enamel clean.

Reply to removing old adhesive and grout from enamel bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen