Search the forum,

Discuss Primer and Waterproofing over PVA advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisab

Hi,

I painted a plasterboard wall with PVA ready for it to be skimmed. However, its now been decided it doesn't need to be skimmed, I've got some primer G and a Dunlop/Bal shower waterproofing kit. So the questions are:

1) can Primer G be applied onto PVA and if not whether I just run with PVA (I know thats not liked on here!) and save removing it all and applying Pimer G. If I go with Primer G what is the best way to remove the PVA?

2) whether the primer that comes with the waterproofing kit can be applied onto PVA?

I can't get hold of technical unfortunately. Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

C

chrisab

As stated pjc I tried ringing several times but no answer - they must be off this weekend! I was just hoping to get it done over the easter weekend.

Will just be using 5mm ceramic tiles, probably 30x20cm. Don't want to go down the route of taking the plasterboard off. In fact most of the area i want to tank (the shelf around the window etc.) is bare at the moment so that is OK. Its just a section on the side wall which has the bath end on it that I need to tank which is PVA'd.

Do you think i can get away with tiling onto the PVA which is away from the bath area etc. (i.e. no direct water).

Cheers

edit - thanks for the tip Dave, I think I could manage that on the area I want to tank...wouldn't fancy doing it for the whole wall though!

i suppose ultimately I need to wait until I get hold of the manufacturers...arse

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Turn the plasterboards around then you'll have a clean canvas to work from, to remove the pva now is gonna be nigh on impossible with damaging the pb imo. What weight / type of tile are you going to be fixing ?

not a good idea really alan,theres a reason plasterboard is put on one way,the back of plasterboard is weaker than the front,its where the paper laps.
to be fair,it should be fine,but the paper can bubble off with just skimming it,so better be safe than sorry.

like dave says,if you wet pva and rub it off it should be ok

Reply to Primer and Waterproofing over PVA advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.