Search the forum,

Discuss Pricing first big job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

Edohanion

Alright all, first big (for me) job to price. Newly built house - built by my mates firm - so walls/floors level etc. 5 bathrooms - 3 floors to tile with 300 x 300 tiles laid normally, about 24m total. On walls in other rooms about 6m total in brick bond and 24m total in various sizes - about half of these small (100mm) tiles others std (150mm) also have to sand all floors with industrial sander (and prime) and tank out small shower area (Bal WP1 and tape).
Plumbers have already laid 2 small floors but didn't sand off screed 1st!
Have worked out a materials cost of £600 - what ballpark figure do you think for labour?
Punters claim last estimate was too high - don't know what it was but they have just paid £1600 for a fancy set of taps!!!!
Don't know how long its going to take me to do (2-3 weeks?) am slow but accurate. Thanks

E

Edohanion

Thought i'd made a big forum blunder when i started reading these posts! I know this is a difficult one, not enough information about the job, prices differ all over the country and pricing is, I think,maybe a bit of a sensitive subject at the moment. Also I'm a bit of a newbie - no real idea how long its going to take so I guess I'll just go with what I first thought and hopefully have some pics of my work to put in the albums later.:thumbsup:

L

Leatherface

OK ...
Now lets begin :yes:
The first thing I will say that it sounds a lovely big job where you stand to make a bit of coin ! However on new build and site work, even if you manage to secure a good rate, you quite often stand to not make quite as much as you would expect.
For example, I am just completing a job which comprises of sixteen appartments,over 4 floors some with a main bathroom and also an en suite shower room. Plenty of meterage to go at. However .......
I had to carry all the tiles to each room myself,
The generator kept cutting out,
Other trades kept on un plugging my extension lead or borrowing my light when I was off site,
The painters started painting walls in the bathrooms that were due to be tiled,
Other trades getting in the way trying to do their own jobs,
rooms not totally ready, so I had to leave rooms part finished, move all my gear, start another, then get called back to finish rooms as required.
Main entrance being blocked off for 2 days as a walkway was being fitted, so had to go down 2 flights of stairs to get in, then up 4 to top floor, then reverse and repeat to get water when grouting. As there were no services and water was outside.
Kept running out of tiles.
So one day I might for example tile 12 sq m, the next day I might only do 3 because of above.
Market rates, sadly dictate the prices you can get away with. Contractors are on a budget and trying to squeeze every last penny out of everyone.
If you can get away with £25 a metre incl supply adhesive and grout ,for ceramic tiles, extra £2.50 a length for trim. And a bit extra for window reveals and pipe boxing, also extra labour for tanking then you won't be doing bad. You will prob need to buckle down and do a few longer days each week to compensate for inevitable lost time.
However you may have to be prepared to drop a bit lower to secure job !!! Depends upon contractor and the finish he expects and is prepared to pay for. He has inevitably already priced the tiling work within his budget already, so will not want to make a loss.
Hope this helps.
:dizzy2::dizzy2::dizzy2::dizzy2::dizzy2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Pricing first big job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.