Currently reading:
possible problem with Topp Fix

Discuss possible problem with Topp Fix in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

john anderson

Hi all.
I have just been back to a house where i have installed a full bathroom and ensuite in Durham. Jobs were completed a year ago. The issue is that in both rooms the floor tiles have come completely loose and grout has cracked.
Both rooms have 12mm ply screwed at approx 150mm centres, floors are primed (not PVA), tiles are porcelain and back buttered, adhesive is troweled at 10mm. I do approx 40 full fits a year and have no other problems. I would usually use Weber adhesive but on this occasion Topps was on the doorstep for the job so i have used Topp Fix Rapid Flexy White. I have no bother in redoing the floors but I'm wondering if this is a one off or have other installers had this problem? About 3 years ago i had this happen with the same adhesive and at the time they did admit a massive batch issue. Any info would be great.

Cheers, John

J

john anderson

Thanks for quick replys.

Andy Allen, I had not even thought about that. And now you have it reminded me that at the time of doing the install the customer had asked me about a problem with her staircase which had terrible movement. The house is on a sought after estate but only 10 years old and probably chucked up.
I will investigate further on that one.

Cam_low, I have been using 12mm ply for 15 years and have never (touch wood) had any issues.

David Howe, yeah mate just down the road. I always use the Weber primer as per instructions.

JulianSidney, I won't be using any of their branded stuff anymore. I went to get some slow set on a sunday a few months ago and they had took it all from the shelves as it had bad batch issues.

Beanz, What is Ditra?

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated.

Reply to possible problem with Topp Fix in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement