Currently reading:
plastering and tiling onto a stud wall?? HELP!!

Discuss plastering and tiling onto a stud wall?? HELP!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MonkeyBoy81

Hi people,

I'm new to this and am putting in a new bathroom for my girlfriend. in order for the bath to fit into the alcove in the bathroom I have had to strip the layer of plasterboard back so that the stud wall is exposed. Now the bath fits in perfectly and so am going to fix in some plasterboard in between the studs so it is recessed and flush with the studs, as this is the only way I can see it working without having to take out the whole stud wall and make it thinner!!

Now my question is, once the plasterboard is in, what's the best way of sealing the 2 x 1 bits of the stud wall that is still exposed so that I can plaster over them and then tile the wall??

What sort of primer should I use to protect the 2x1 timber but will also allow me to plaster??

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank-you

D

DHTiling

Do you not have enough tolerance on the bath to allow the board 9mm or 12mm to hang over the bath edge...?....

I just think that by boarding in-between the studs you are creating a movement problem and cracks could appear in the tiles/grout lines.or plaster....if it's a must to do it your way then cover the wall in a crack isolation membrane and tile onto that..( no plaster )...

If you are not tiling the whole wall then....maybe one of the plasterers on the forum will advice the best way to stop it cracking....on the studs.....

C

cjbombero

The movement is going to come from the studwork and the plasterboard combo that your creating, the problem is that they will flex to different degrees causing cracks in the grout lines. Any plasterboard needs to be nice and firm to tile to, if its interspersed with bits of 4b2 you will not get a consitant movement in the wall. Uneven movement will only result in problems...:furious3:

If you can't touch the other walls the only other option I can think of is to try and have the bath about 5mm off the wall (make sure it's square to the wall) and hang plasterboad to the bath edge. Your girlfriend won't be able to have too thick a tile as the thicker you use the more it will encroach onto your bath.

Hope this helps

G

GazTech

Yeah I have considered cutting the wall back but it seems to big a job to be worth it, but that's only in my humble opinion.

Do you rekon it is possible to do it the way I'm proposing or not? I'm thinking of sealing the exposed wood so it's waterproof and then putting mesh over the wood and overlapping the plasterboard and then plastering, then tiling??
Have a look at tiling the wall with Bal Flex, this is the wall tile 2 part flexible...Gaz

Reply to plastering and tiling onto a stud wall?? HELP!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m putting down 800x800x10mm porcelain floor tiles. Floor area is 2m x 2.7m, 18mm chipboard. I added loads...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.