Search the forum,

Discuss plastering and tiling onto a stud wall?? HELP!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MonkeyBoy81

Hi people,

I'm new to this and am putting in a new bathroom for my girlfriend. in order for the bath to fit into the alcove in the bathroom I have had to strip the layer of plasterboard back so that the stud wall is exposed. Now the bath fits in perfectly and so am going to fix in some plasterboard in between the studs so it is recessed and flush with the studs, as this is the only way I can see it working without having to take out the whole stud wall and make it thinner!!

Now my question is, once the plasterboard is in, what's the best way of sealing the 2 x 1 bits of the stud wall that is still exposed so that I can plaster over them and then tile the wall??

What sort of primer should I use to protect the 2x1 timber but will also allow me to plaster??

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank-you

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome...

Can you not chop into the opposite wall as well to move the bath over and then just re-board on top of the studs.....if it is only the thickness of the board then just even it up......much easier and a better job........

Make sure you seal the gaps before tiling as well......

M

MonkeyBoy81

Unfortunatly I can't touch the other wall. The only way the bath will fit is by having the studs exposed, and sorry the studs are 4x2 rather than 2x1, and so just need to know if it's ok to seal these and then plaster over as normal and then tile, if so what sealant would I have to use??

Thank-you

D

DHTiling

Do you not have enough tolerance on the bath to allow the board 9mm or 12mm to hang over the bath edge...?....

I just think that by boarding in-between the studs you are creating a movement problem and cracks could appear in the tiles/grout lines.or plaster....if it's a must to do it your way then cover the wall in a crack isolation membrane and tile onto that..( no plaster )...

If you are not tiling the whole wall then....maybe one of the plasterers on the forum will advice the best way to stop it cracking....on the studs.....

M

MonkeyBoy81

Thanks for the advice, but am a little confused by your comment that I'm creating movement problems, what do you mean by this?? Where would the movement come from?

Thank-you

D

DHTiling

Expansion in the timber studs could cause cracks where it meets the plaster board...you will have a joint either side of the stud all the way up the wall......scrim tape might hold it.....but if you wait for some of the plasterers on the forum they might know a better way........

M

MonkeyBoy81

Oh I see what you mean, how about if I put some wire mesh over the studs and the plaserboard and then plaster over this??

Thank-you

D

DHTiling

It's not something i have done before.....so can't comment whether that will work....

C

cjbombero

The movement is going to come from the studwork and the plasterboard combo that your creating, the problem is that they will flex to different degrees causing cracks in the grout lines. Any plasterboard needs to be nice and firm to tile to, if its interspersed with bits of 4b2 you will not get a consitant movement in the wall. Uneven movement will only result in problems...:furious3:

If you can't touch the other walls the only other option I can think of is to try and have the bath about 5mm off the wall (make sure it's square to the wall) and hang plasterboad to the bath edge. Your girlfriend won't be able to have too thick a tile as the thicker you use the more it will encroach onto your bath.

Hope this helps

M

MonkeyBoy81

Yeah I was thinking about doing that with the plasterboard onto the edge of the bath with everything exposed hidden underneath, but just thinking about I feel it would look a bit rubbish as the baths edges won't be the same either side.

Reply to plastering and tiling onto a stud wall?? HELP!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen