Search the forum,

Discuss outside opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all i would appreciate opinions on a job that i thought was going to be a nice bathroom to do,however it has gone the opposite way and i find myself halfway through it wanting to leave

i did a job for someone a few months ago and was asked by the neighbour down the stair for a price on there bathroom as well after it as they had seen the completed job upstairs,
job started small and as we went along they uppsed the spec a bit

1st price was to remove but keep existing suite,strip room and ceiling and sheet and skim with 6 spots,supply new towel rail only and a new electric shower only and ufh installed...priced at xxxx

job was booked in by deposit as normal and gave the customer an estimate in writing as they didnt have the internet so no emails
bookeed in for a month then the friday before i was to start gets a call oh we have chose a new suite can you do the full fit instead..so i rushed out to check it all and some of the items were too large for the new stud wall we were to add so they asked if i could get adiscounts anywhere yes i can but you wont have to time to go pick anything so we agreed i would get like for like at a cheaper cost but i was choosing the suite.

suite deliverd monday,bathroom removed monday....monday evening customer came back oh by the way the window is knackered we need a new one or can you fix it...window was bent and twisted god knows what happened but joiner said no its knackered so they agreed we would supply and fit one......i advised a pvc would take 2 weeks to make and timber possibly 4 based on what glaziers said

conservation area so they knew pvc shouldnt go in however they chose that route for quickness(btw the ceiling,sill and walls all fold into wondow so it had to be insatlled before prep was completed so bit of an issue

re preps bathroom and builds stud wall which makes the room tight but do able,bath installed etc
customer tells me they dont like the stud wall after all and want to return to what they had before....i advise them half suite will have to go back to shops as it wont fit now etc etc and cost will go up again

they agree to this on the friday and i ask to take material and tile costs of them at this point as its mounting by the day,they agree to give me 2 thousand pounds on monday evening and labour on completion

i turn up tonight to be met by 2 sketchy acting customers.....were only giving you 1000 they said...why this i ask ? its all we have got is the answer...halfway through a 7 grand job and they claim to have onyl 1 thousand pounds?
i say no i will only accept full agreed amount or we wont continue,...they then tell me they think its my fault this is all happenign as i suggested the wall to them and now its up they dont like the feeling it gives,they also claim i made up the fact the windown couldnt be fixed and im duping therm into buying a window? they also claim to not be able to afford the new cost and start producing other quotes form another local company which had completely different spec on it from 2 years ago? stating how could they do it for this but your dearer...

i agree to remove 500 pounds form the bill as a good will gesture to keep the costs affordable for the customer even though all trades will have to come back and start again with a new rough out,they seem delighted and immediately ask for a more expensive shower from a mira catalogue!!!! then ask for a pvc cladde ceiling instead of the agreed skimmed ceiling!!! i feel disgusted by this point and leave the house with half cash half cheque which i had to literally force out of them

i have ordered a custom made window for them and now they want to cancel it they say and go for wooden despite me asking a dozen times the week before that this is what they wanted....would you guys continue with this job?

they also tried to csancel the ufh after i delivered it and have added items daily to this job such as stone cills and set in mirrors they seem to think these thinsg hang on trees!

i personally have a bad feeling about it now

D

DHTiling

jeeeeeezz mate, wot a mare.. if you will not be to out if pocket then it might be wise to terminate the job...

W

White Room

got to be honest Jamie I'd feel someone taking the pi$$ and knocking £500 off the bill would be a no no but i've had customers who I could have slapped and just finished the job and bit my lip.

The money situation would bother me and there are times when to call it quits and that sounds like a good time IMO

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i have 1 k cash which coves me just for materials outlaid dave from them and a cheque for 1100 which wouyld pay the guys and me for the 1st stage just

job has got to be the worst i have ever had to deal with,simple bathroom which is racked with problems mostly due to the customer thinking they can order things and send them back willy nilly,

D

DHTiling

Only you can decide to walk , deffo before it starts to cost more. Some strange folk about.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
at the moment guys i have agreed for me and the guys to go back thursday and remove most of the room/stud boards etc and re rough it but it still isnt sitting well with me

customer has an attitude with me and i do not have any trust in them anymore however they are trying to make me feel like this......not sure what to do regarding the money as i have taken 2100 for materials although i have currently only spent 1100 but another 1k on itenms to be spent this week plus they could easy cancel that cheque

W

White Room

The only other choice would be to front the customer about their decisions of the job and try to clear the air....

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i had it out with them tonight in the flat,they said there peice which was basically they arent happy paying all this money for a bathroom however they fail to see its all there won doing and even after getting money off started choosing different items for the room again,

then spoke to the guy later on phone and he said i think you should cancel the window i want a timber one now lol,advised him he would have to pay for both windows if they had began work on it to which he thought this was ridiculous and fooking hell he said the cost goes up again!!!!!! fukin morons

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
im going to ask for 30 percent pf labour money upfront before we return on thursday,if they dont agree then i wont continue as the situation is untenable now imo

thanks for the advice guys its always good to get an outsiders opinion i appreciate it,let you know how i get on with the munsters

Reply to outside opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen