Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Newbie - Tiling Business in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Evening Guy's,

Apologies in advance because I'm sure you have seen a similar thread dozens of times.

I am thinking of taking the plunge and starting up on my own tile business following a course I plan to undertake in January. Obviously I am a little apprehensive about this because I do have what you would consider a good job already in a different field but I am unhappy and have always dreamed of working for myself.

My question to the guys who have found themselves in this situation is how did you find the transition? Was work easy to come by? And finally is there any advice you would give to someone like me?

Dan

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would stick to your well paid job and do tile part time.
it's not as easy as some think, and to begin with you will be earning a pittance competing with other well established professional tilers.

D

Dumbo

I think probably tile courses are outdated as how many of them offer hands on fixing of say 600 x600 tiles which pretty much my daily tile along with 1200 planks .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just out of interest what is it you currently do?

D

Dumbo

Also have you tiled at all to think that you like it , it may also be worth trying to see if you can tag on to a local tiler for a few days before you spend your money on a course.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just out of interest what is it you currently do?

I am an office based water treatment engineer so most of my day is spent viewing technical drawings and over seeing projects. Completely different!
[automerge]1573593926[/automerge]
Also have you tiled at all to think that you like it , it may also be worth trying to see if you can tag on to a local tiler for a few days before you spend your money on a course.

Thanks JC. I did complete a DIY course and get on reasonably well even if it was badly organised.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
How do you envisage your self employed life?

I bet it’s a lot different to the reality ;)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I spent yesterday cutting tiles and mixing https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in the freezing cold, raining , wind howling, some day's I would give my right arm to be in a cosy office !

D

Dumbo

I spent yesterday cutting tiles and mixing https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in the freezing cold, raining , wind howling, some day's I would give my right arm to be in a cosy office !
I would want to be an hse officer so I could shut every site that any builder who has delayed my payments gets shut down

Reply to Newbie - Tiling Business in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock