Search the forum,

Discuss New wet / dry cutter ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Good forum. Been reading all the advice given.

I've been installing a number of kitchens over the last year and done several large bathrooms incl tiling. Mostly ceramic and one porcelain floor.

Looks like I could be doing lots more bathrooms now as well so decided to splash out on a decent tile cutter. Currently I have a Ruby TR600 and a cheap rubbish wet cutter.

So far I have not had any need to do any mitre cuts. When are they needed in bathroom tiling ?

I expect I will be working mostly on ceramic & less porcelain.

So questions are :
1) Is there any need to get a better dry cutter ? Talked yesterday to Topps and they were telling me the more expensive Ruby ones with sprung beds make cleaner cuts especially in porcelain. Is this just them trying to make a sale or am I fine with the TR 600 I have ?

2) Which wet cutter to get. Budget not really a problem up to the Dewalt 24000 if needs be but do I need it ? Plus it looks pretty big to be using on some jobs e.g. current one is small ensuite 2m square at the top of a 3 story house! So would I be better with something like the DN200 or even 180 ? Reading on here it seems the blades they come with are not that good so I'd end up having to spend another £60 on a good blade. I am not wedded to any models mentioned, just looking from good sound advice from those in the know.

3) Which are the good blades to go for ?

Many thanks !

Reaction score
Ah ha, mitres

Just been scouring the forum about mitres, very nice finish I see. Might be some time before I got a chance to do any mind.

Reaction score
9P looks nice

Nice choice cam_low. Just read review on here about it and looks a great little machine. Seems a bit off a killer they charge another £110 just for the stand mind ! :-o Major battle between it and the 24000 it seems..
I have a prolapsed bottom disc which plays up at times when carry really heavy stuff so would be nice to find somewhere that stocks it so I can swing it about and see what it is like to transport ;-)

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Angle grinder for small jobs (with a Rubi dry blade), and if you start getting big porcelain or stone jobs, I'd go for the Dewalt.

Reaction score
Interesting you say angle grinder beanz. Just been into CTD and was chatting to their 'expert' ruby guy who said the same thing about using angle grinder for smaller jobs!. I've never used an angle grinder to cut tiles as always thought you'd never get a smooth/straight enough cut not too mention dust. But reading on hear and then hearing it from the local shop...

beanz

TF
Reaction score
It does kick up some dust, but I do all my cutting outside anyway, so no drama. The Rubi grinder blade gives a really nice cut, although it can go wrong quite easily, if you're not careful. Takes a little bit of practice to get curves etc, but straight cuts aren't difficult. You do get some slight chipping on some porcelain, but you could say that with most wet cutters too.. ;)

Reply to New wet / dry cutter ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen