Search the forum,

Discuss New member,started my own business again. Helping hand from government in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Handyeire

Hi all! Ive just joined and thought id pop in to say hello. Ive been a handyman builder most my life and took a few years out when the recession hit in 2008/9 here in Ireland, now I've just started up my own business again since things are picking up a bit, thou if im totally honest, things still very slow compared to the UK. One thing I've got going for me is that i get a weekly income of 208euro for my first 2 years in business from the government to help me get started. Ive also got 2500euro grant for tools,advertising, computer/laptop etc... There are some jobs out there at the moment but i thought id take a chance in setting up again seeing I'm getting help from the government.

For my tools ill have 1000euro and although ive most of my tiling tools in, ive came across the tiling tracker for setting tiles out instead of using battens. What i want to know is there anyone on here that uses this and how do they find it compared to using the tried and tested batten method.

Ive also seen a lazer level , its the Bosh gtl3 and again, can anyone give me the pros and cons of this item. Maybe i could even grab the DW088k if it was of any use for tiling though in saying that, i haven't looked into it much.

Ive done pretty well over the years without needing any of these items, but since i can get these on the grant, i might aswell get them while its free if it'll speed my work up more. I know one thing, i deserve them for the taxes I've paid in past years lol.

S

Stef

Re: New member,started my own business again. Helping hand from govern

Welcome along, you will get some good advice on here regarding tiling tools.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

I never use battons any more.....just a decent non slip adhesive. ...or cut the bottom row in first..
Ain't got a lazer either ...lol
Spirit levels and stright edges work for me.
I would spend the money on decent cutters or marketing.

Last edited:
D

dougmontgomery

Hi,

Are the grants available to the whole of the UK or just Ireland? (I'm assuming you're in Northern Ireland)

Doug

H

Handyeire

Hi,

Are the grants available to the whole of the UK or just Ireland? (I'm assuming you're in Northern Ireland)

Doug

Sorry doug, its just in the south. The irish government have been getting slated because of their policies in recent years but i cant fault them here because getting a weekly income along with this grant for tools is a great help for guys like myself in construction trying to start up again. I know one thing, we desperately need it because times where and still are hard here. Ive seen guys who have been on site 30 years not lift their tools for 2 years.

H

Handyeire

I never use battons any more.....just a decent non slip adhesive. ...or cut the bottom row in first..

Using battens is what ive always been used to TBH. Any tiler i know prefers this method also.

W

White Room

Sorry doug, its just in the south. The irish government have been getting slated because of their policies in recent years but i cant fault them here because getting a weekly income along with this grant for tools is a great help for guys like myself in construction trying to start up again. I know one thing, we desperately need it because times where and still are hard here. Ive seen guys who have been on site 30 years not lift their tools for 2 years.

Heard from an Irish lad over here that alot of houses they built in the heydays are now being knocked down and returning the land to agriculture...

D

dougmontgomery

Well, your government sounds a sight better than the shower we have here. Hope it all goes well for you! :smilewinkgrin:

D

dougmontgomery

Just realised the clue is in your username: Handyeire

Doh! Excuse my stupidity (my heads not right today)

M

Mr Tiler

i think he means using a batton for setting out the tiles andy... not actually resting a course of tiles on. all i need now for setting out is a level and a tape measure.

H

Handyeire

i think he means using a batton for setting out the tiles andy... not actually resting a course of tiles on. all i need now for setting out is a level and a tape measure.

I do mean setting tiles on. When tiling I mark out where tile go then rest the tiles on until im finished then pull batten off and fill in with my cuts. Its just what ive been used to TBH.

H

Handyeire

Heard from an Irish lad over here that alot of houses they built in the heydays are now being knocked down and returning the land to agriculture...

Yeah that's true, ghost estates we call them over here. Really sad to see even worse when weve a massive housing need here in the country where ordinary hard working families are being made homeless with the recent rent increases.

D

Deleted member 1779

BFKMX6.jpg

Reply to New member,started my own business again. Helping hand from government in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen