Search the forum,

Discuss New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

First time I've seen these, local supplier has just got them in....anyone tried these.

Leveling Systems and Tile Trims

That system looks flawed compared to others.

Firstly the base plate of the clips are flat so only really suited to calibrated tiles, where as something like the lash clips have a rocking base plate so can be used with un-calibrated stone for example. Within reason of course.

Then the re-use of screw caps is going to eat in to many a lunch break unscrewing the threads. It's bad enough with the rubi and genesis systems pulling through the ratchet type. I still think the wedge type systems are the quickest and least fuss both in use and collecting up the reusable wedges. I'm not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

just watched this vid and seen how a plummer takes 5x longer than a tiler cost 6x more these should be on sale in a pluming shop thats were they belong

That's a bit harsh Ray! He sure fits a lot of tiles for a plumber:D Home Is it the fact he just laid the tiles lightly on the the addy rather than bedding down you didn't like? Or just the fact he was using a leveling system at all?

Like most on here I thought they were a gimmick when they first came out but they certainly have their uses.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

That system looks flawed compared to others.

Firstly the base plate of the clips are flat so only really suited to calibrated tiles, where as something like the lash clips have a rocking base plate so can be used with un-calibrated stone for example. Within reason of course.

Then the re-use of screw caps is going to eat in to many a lunch break unscrewing the threads. It's bad enough with the rubi and genesis systems pulling through the ratchet type. I still think the wedge type systems are the quickest and least fuss both in use and collecting up the reusable wedges. I'm not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

That's a bit harsh Ray! He sure fits a lot of tiles for a plumber:D Home Is it the fact he just laid the tiles lightly on the the addy rather than bedding down you didn't like? Or just the fact he was using a leveling system at all?

Like most on here I thought they were a gimmick when they first came out but they certainly have their uses.
yes you are right for some they have a use but come on 600x300 give me a break thats a real way of showing they are diy and whats a lot of tiles 3m2 a day .so take a close look at the vid flat walls looking like a darlike is hiding behind to say exstarmanate .and a 2 m2 floor on flat ply but is using these give me a break .any one here that thinks they can lay this floor faster than me and flatter than me using these is more than welcome to try .diy diy diy all day long .

C

Colour Republic

To be honest i didn't watch it in that much detail Ray.

Looking again I notice 2 things.

1) He has 16.5K subscribers to his channel so i'm guessing the leveling system gave him a load F.O.C. to promote and he's just used them on every job he could to get footage
2) You could say he's a cracking tiler because he's prepared every substrate the best he could before he started and therefore didn't need them in the slightest!

If was going to criticise him for anything it would be his love of using MDF skirting as straight edge which is rarely straight.

Let's be honest these systems don't add much extra time on your average domestic job. What an extra hour or 2 on your average bathroom if that? I waste more time looking for my pencil! I appreciate it does on commercial jobs where you might have 100's of SQM to get stuck in to or multiple bathrooms, then it is going to slow you down.

S

Simon benn Leeds

These are similar to what the sell at my supplier, needless to say I've never bought them.
Not once have I seen them tamp the floor down or check for level, and how are you meant to wash the joints out??
Absolute wast of time effort and money, definitely not a tiler if you you have to use stuff like,
Tiling is a skill you hone over years not a process!..

I agree with @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin i could tile faster than them 3 and labour on myself

DIY, DIY, DIY

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Not once have I seen them tamp the floor down or check for level, and how are you meant to wash the joints out??
Absolute wast of time effort and money, definitely not a tiler if you you have to use stuff like,
Tiling is a skill you hone over years not a process!..
DIY, DIY, DIY

Wow! Strong words Simon, a little bit of a knee jerk reaction maybe to a promotional video!
Emphasis on 'promotional' we all know they're designed to sell and not instruct! :)

It's also put me in my place, at least I know what category I fit into now,
I'm a DIY'er haha @Dan looks like I'm here under false pretences. :D

How can u possibly make such a sweeping statement having not even tried using them?

And actually Ray does say they have their uses just not on 600x300's.

Didn't get outta bed the wrong side today Simon did you?haha :rolleyes:

Are u saying that u've never laid a floor or tiled a wall and where u've had to build out or pack a tile with more adhesive than usual, and then come back next day and found that in actual fact u feel sure that overnight lots of little people have been 'doing a jig' over your floor, cos when u left you know, there were no lips?
If you say no I won't believe you! Haha
They can be used for manor of things, it just takes a little imagination as how they can be utilised other than laying a 600x300 floor!

So I thought I might show u how they can be used for all manor of things!

How about when u put up backer boards ready for mosaic? Ever consider the joints between the boards? How they can easily step!

image.jpg image.jpg

How about tiling a Dorma?
Tell me how many times Dorma window detail is the same both sides?
Tell me it doesn't look lopsided if they're not identical!
So how about adjusting the angle on the face side from the ceiling down, to make it symmetrical.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Or how about when u have to ramp a floor from an longstanding existing floor which is 50mm high of the proposed floor level across the other side of the room?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

S

Simon benn Leeds

Very impressive work indeed.

And no i didn't get out of the wrong side of bed this morning!!!!..., got out of the wrong side all this week ha ha (well at lest since someone wrote my van off last week) but that's another tale.

Yes off the cuff remarks on my behalf and apologies if it was insulting or offended anyone.

I'm just struggling to come to terms with the products purpose (I'll do some research) but tiling being one of the oldest trades we have managed perfectly well without these kind of (dare I say gimmicks)!.

Has anyone had any experience of breaking a tile out when the method has been used?
Just curious to see what the bed is like underneath?
When I lay floors (particularly large format and large areas) I like to lift the tile for reassurance that I have achieved a 100% coverage of adhesive with no hollows, plus I like to wash all the joints free from adhesive.

jobs hard enough without adding another element ha.

How would it work if the tiles are different thicknes? I.e installing a floor border? Some stone? If the tiles are cambered? (As is a lot of these new planked tiles).

Just curious?

Cheers

O

Old Mod

Very impressive work indeed.

And no i didn't get out of the wrong side of bed this morning!!!!..., got out of the wrong side all this week ha ha (well at lest since someone wrote my van off last week) but that's another tale.

Yes off the cuff remarks on my behalf and apologies if it was insulting or offended anyone.

I'm just struggling to come to terms with the products purpose (I'll do some research) but tiling being one of the oldest trades we have managed perfectly well without these kind of (dare I say gimmicks)!.

Has anyone had any experience of breaking a tile out when the method has been used?
Just curious to see what the bed is like underneath?
When I lay floors (particularly large format and large areas) I like to lift the tile for reassurance that I have achieved a 100% coverage of adhesive with no hollows, plus I like to wash all the joints free from adhesive.

jobs hard enough without adding another element ha.

How would it work if the tiles are different thicknes? I.e installing a floor border? Some stone? If the tiles are cambered? (As is a lot of these new planked tiles).

Just curious?

Cheers
Just quickly for now

S

Simon benn Leeds

image.jpg

Days work without.

(And boy was that a bad floor) electric resistance uth with a poor poor latex job.

Reply to New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen