Discuss Narrowboat Bathroom help needed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Avril

-
Reaction score
Having trouble deciding how to move forward with my live-aboard narrowboat bathroom....I want to construct a shower to take up about half the space of the little room in the picture (there will be a third wall by then also walls will be primed and actually attached and the fire alarm removed) - so about 900 x 700, I was determined to try make a wet room to save on head space as I can only just stand up but I am worried after lots of research that I will struggle to make it waterproof without adding special boards on top of the floorboards anyway....so maybe a shower tray is the best option (!?!)....also unsure if I can actually tank my plywood, would I need to line the ply with something else or can I tank and tile...I'm on a very small budget, thanks in advance, any ideas or advice welcome :) Avril

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_8128.JPG

Reaction score
Hi, it's kind of hard to see how much space you have really. You can use a wetroom floor former. This is like a tray but it is generally only around 22mm thick. If your floor has no structural movement in it then you could mechanically fix the floor former to the floor (screws and washers) once your waste pipe is in place. You would use a tanking waterproof tape usually around 150mm ish wide. This goes on the wall and floor joint half of the width of the tape up the wall and the other half on the tray. Then tank the walls and floor. In theory should be easy enough. Even if you can't get exactly the right size former they nearly always can be cut to size. I would look at something like the Rhino floor former. Then tile. Good luck.

Avril

-
Reaction score
Hi, it's kind of hard to see how much space you have really. You can use a wetroom floor former. This is like a tray but it is generally only around 22mm thick. If your floor has no structural movement in it then you could mechanically fix the floor former to the floor (screws and washers) once your waste pipe is in place. You would use a tanking waterproof tape usually around 150mm ish wide. This goes on the wall and floor joint half of the width of the tape up the wall and the other half on the tray. Then tank the walls and floor. In theory should be easy enough. Even if you can't get exactly the right size former they nearly always can be cut to size. I would look at something like the Rhino floor former. Then tile. Good luck.

Thanks a million for your reply! I have been looking at floor formers and think you are right that it might be the best option....but I'm on a very tight budget, I have read that maybe I could use Hardiebacker 12mm board instead cut it to size and cut the waste outlet...then tank and tile...does that sound crazy?

Avril

-
Reaction score
Hardibacker is not waterproof. Resistant only.

Thanks for your reply, would it not become waterproof if I tank it with the BAL kit?
[automerge]1593550606[/automerge]
Assuming the hardibacker is a bad idea based on your replies, does anyone know the cheapest wetroom floor former I can buy? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Thanks a million for your reply! I have been looking at floor formers and think you are right that it might be the best option....but I'm on a very tight budget, I have read that maybe I could use Hardiebacker 12mm board instead cut it to size and cut the waste outlet...then tank and tile...does that sound crazy?
In a word Yes. I appreciate that you are on a tight budget. But one of the last things you should do on the cheap is a wetroom. It will probably fail and cost you all over again. I would suggest saving for a while if necessary and do it once.

Reply to Narrowboat Bathroom help needed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks