Currently reading:
My 1st splash back

Discuss My 1st splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thevinnyofoz

Hello,

I was asked by an old family member to tile her kitchen´s splash back, was about 5m2. For some reason the current tiles were stuck on with what looked like white rubbery sealent, really difficult to get them off. Anyway I pretty much destroyed the plaster work which was a bad because that plaster was covering all kinds of nasty brick work where a door had been filled in years before.

So anyway the job got bigger as I now found myself taking the plaster back to the brick work and dot dabbing plaster boards so I could finally start tiling as that is why I was there lol. I had not taken off tiles before and thought it was going to be ok but that sealent used to put up them last lot of tiles really did double the job for me. by the way, I had never boarded up before either. I was nervous to say the least. All in all this had taken me three days from start to finish. By the way I only do this in my spare time. Maybe one day I can get paid for it.

100_4038.jpg
100_4040.jpg
100_4041.jpg
100_4046.jpg
100_4047.jpg
100_4094.jpg
100_4059.jpg
100_4061.jpg
100_4105.jpg
100_4095.jpg

T

thevinnyofoz

The socket on the work top is out of my control, it has always been in this position. I was only there to tile and the job turned out to be bigger than I expected ( boarding out ) so moving the electrical sockets was not something I wanted to do nor qualified to do properly.

I did not want to start with half a tile but I needed a strong cut around the bottom left and right corners of the window so I had to start with half to achieve this, also the work top was out and warped in places so a full tile would have looked a little strange in places, also the cupboard was way out in places. I also went one tile higher than I would have liked but the sweet old lady wanted the tiles like this.

Not a bad effort for my first go though, thought I had done ok considering the horrible brickwork I had to start with.

Reply to My 1st splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.