Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Mosaic question for tilers in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

IMG_0899.JPG Ok maybe not exactly the same but they were paper faced, two rooms in one house full mosaic, I have the receipt somewhere think it was around 10k per room IMG_1090.JPG for the tiles IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1191.JPG

aytiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Pah! They're perfect!:D

These are fired earth, £36.00 a sheet!!
Paperfaced pearlescent 20 x 20mm

View attachment 88383

View attachment 88385

View attachment 88384

Some time later..,,,,..
Not perfect, but acceptable.

View attachment 88386
You are actually supposed to leave them more or less like that. RUSTIC is the key word here.
I worked solely for FE for 18 years and did countless metres of those (the black pearlescent retailed at nearly £500, I did a 25mtr. bathroom in those)
All of the showrooms have them done like on the sheets, so that is what the customer is expecting to see, give them anything else and you can't do wrong for doing right.

O

Old Mod

You are actually supposed to leave them more or less like that. RUSTIC is the key word here.
I worked solely for FE for 18 years and did countless metres of those (the black pearlescent retailed at nearly £500, I did a 25mtr. bathroom in those)
All of the showrooms have them done like on the sheets, so that is what the customer is expecting to see, give them anything else and you can't do wrong for doing right.
The client in question had a bath panel done in them by another tiler and was very unhappy with them,
Bbcause of the 'rustic' look. She thought the tiler had done a dreadful job. And the reason for that was that the sample she had was of 12 perfectly aligned and sized pieces on a piece of card, and that's what she wanted. I even went in person to the showroomon the Fulham Road looking for a display, and was told that they didn't sell tiles from Mexico, only from America!!! And they didn't have a display anyway. And even when I showed the assistant their own web page stating that they were hade made Mexican recycled glass tiles she said the website was wrong!
And on the fe website they only show one perfectly aligned sheet.
So I gave the client what she wanted.
I eventually found a small thumbnail image on
glasstile.com (Oceanside) the suppliers website. And it was way too late by then, so I just kept quiet.
And tbh, if done in the 'rustic' style, it's dreadful. Haha

aytiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The client in question had a bath panel done in them by another tiler and was very unhappy with them,
Bbcause of the 'rustic' look. She thought the tiler had done a dreadful job. And the reason for that was that the sample she had was of 12 perfectly aligned and sized pieces on a piece of card, and that's what she wanted. I even went in person to the showroomon the Fulham Road looking for a display, and was told that they didn't sell tiles from Mexico, only from America!!! And they didn't have a display anyway. And even when I showed the assistant their own web page stating that they were hade made Mexican recycled glass tiles she said the website was wrong!
And on the fe website they only show one perfectly aligned sheet.
So I gave the client what she wanted.
I eventually found a small thumbnail image on
glasstile.com (Oceanside) the suppliers website. And it was way too late by then, so I just kept quiet.
And tbh, if done in the 'rustic' style, it's dreadful. Haha
I was told they were American tiles, recycled glass bottles with oxide coating of some sorts. Cheap as chips, but then FE had a very good PR side.. You are right the rustic looks rubbish but then we always are told to do as the showroom. That way there is no come back.

I used to do the showrooms, and at first when I did the floor tile sets they used to sort out all the perfect tiles and I would have to lay them. Then the comeback when what got delivered to site didn't look like what was in the showroom.

At the end of every job I had to get the customer to sign a "Release document" saying that they were happy with the work, no signed doc, no payment to me until they posted it back if they weren't there when I finished. I once waited until 9pm for a customer to get home to sign his.

And that's rubbish about not selling Mexican tiles, they do Mexican handmade wall tiles and most of their Terracotta comes from there.

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

And that's rubbish about not selling Mexican tiles, they do Mexican handmade wall tiles and most of their Terracotta comes from there.

Yeah I know, I used to fit the wall and floor Mexican tiles that came with Smallbone kitchens.
And if you find that rustic tile on fe website it clearly states it's from Mexico, but apparently according to her, the website is wrong. :)
There was also no display in the Fulham road store.

Reply to Mosaic question for tilers in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks