Discuss Mitring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jo Kelly

Hi - I'm looking for a bit of advice before I tile my fireplace this weekend. I work for a Tile Distributor and done a bit of my own tiling before but I'm planning on tiling our fireplace surround and hearth in marble and looking for advice or tips on mitring.

Is this the best way to create a neat finish on the corners of the hearth and if so - how do I do it!!

Thanks
Jo

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you will need to get a flat bed wet cutter to do your mitres,but it would be better if you could use tiles with a round edge...

nd200web.jpg

M

murf

I personally would not mitre the marble on a hearth as the edge
would be very weak (imo). :thumbsdown:

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you could butt the tiles and polish the finished edge, somebody on this forum showed a pic of said job and you could not see the join cant remember who tho...

J

Jo Kelly

Thanks all for your replies - I ended up doing a bit of everything! I had some brass trims in case but decided, apart from the edge of the chimney breast, it didn't look as nice as just having the marble finish.

Thanks Andy-P for your advice - I borrowed the Rubi cutter from work and where the tiles were going vertically round the hearth to meet the floor, I used it to Mitre the corners and it worked fine. I then butt the edges to the top so there were full 305x305mm pieces working from the edge backwards for the hearth surface giving strength to the edges (thanks murf for your opinion).

We have a product at work called HG Marble Shine Finish which I'm going to try on the edges to give them a more polished look - I'm grouting tonight so its nearly finished but overall I'm pretty pleased with the result!

Thanks again to everyone for all your help!

J

Jo Kelly

I've tried to upload photos but it keeps telling me I don't have permission :huh2:

You can see pictures at my mobile blog (link below) if anyone is interested. Its not completely finished yet as still have the edges to do where the marble meets the floor and not used the shine finish yet on the ends where I've butt the tile but hopefully it will be done in a couple of days and the mantlepiece (an oak beam) will arrive!

My Mobile Blog: October 2008

I'm not a professional tiler, I just work in the industry and have a pretty fair amount of knowledge, so all in all, I'm feeling quite proud of the result - so thank you guys for all your help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mitring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22