Currently reading:
Matte black porcelain grout haze

Search the forum,

Discuss Matte black porcelain grout haze in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I’m sure you have all come across matte black porcelain tiles that look like slate.

I was careful when laying them. Any adhesive that got onto the surface of the tile was cleaned off and the tile cleaned up ok.

Grouting with grey superflex my troubles started. You know that I’m going to say ‘Grout Haze’, and you would be correct. In the end I had to leave the job. I’m going back this week to give the floor a good clean.

What do you do with these types of tile that retain the grout? Do you wipe down after grouting, but come back another day to clean? I’m just paranoid about over washing and causing efflorescence.

Speaking of efflorescence, I used ditra and found that it took longer for the adhesive to set. Is this normal? I also found that when I washed the floor prior to grouting I found a couple of wet patches where the water had pooled in between the grout lines. This caused three 2inch lines of white (efflorescence) grout on the kitchen floor. I told the customer what it was and that I would rake it up and redo them. He said he could live with it!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I actually waited about half an hour Alan before washing off. Very good point about cleaning tiles before grouting. It was only a slightly damp microfibre, but I guess a few drops of water got into the joints somehow. I know I can't seal these tiles before grouting, but I've been caught out before with this type of tile.

Reply to Matte black porcelain grout haze in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement