Search the forum,

Discuss Marble slab wall(one piece) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hillhead

Hello people,
i have a bathroom to start monday i think,lol.
anyway its marble or porcelain,but in it there will be a marble slab 1.8m x 1.0m basically attached to a straight wall,prob a shower in behind it.
I was wondering have any of you folk fitted one of these before?
Apparently the tile shop has supplied two tubes of something to stick it to the tiles !!!:yikes: i'd rather sink it into wall a bit and tile around it if you know what i mean. or use some sort of brackets? any ideas lads and lasses?

H

hillhead

I did a similar job years ago, the marble had been chosen by the customer at the quarry show room in Italy, when it arrived some 3 months later we stuck it with an Italian tube adhesive, I thought it was silicone until we cut them open, it was very strong glue and it worked a treat. The marble was about 2mtr sq and 30mm thick approx , hope this helps

:thumbsup:
Customer told me they have been supplied with 2 tubes of something,i'll see all in the morning,surely you fixed the slad first to wall theb tiled around it?? that would be stronger too,tile shop told customer to get me to tile room first then stick this to the wall and floor! the wall would need to be square.

H

hillhead

i spoke to another tiler tonight about it,he told me he seen one put up this year.He says to tile the room first and then attach this slab using the tubes supplied to stick it !!!
he says the stuff is called laticrete??? two part mix and says it is unbelievable,he saw a 30mm slab stuck with it and even a shelf stuck between two walls and the guy who done it sat up on it after 3 minutes :yikes:,he says i'll have 20 seconds to stick it when i mix the two parts:yikes::yikes:.if i agree a price tomorrow i'll have fun with this job1

R

Rob Z

The laticrete stuff is #310 and #310 Rapid. The #310 sets up in about 45 minutes. The #310 Rapid sets up in about 3 minutes.

Laticrete has a proprietary gun that holds the tubes and has a cordless drill motor that pushes out the material and mixes it. They also sell the epoxy in tubs and you mix that right on the stone. I just used the #310 regular to set slab stone around a fireplace.

I have used a ton of this stuff so if you have any questions let me know. :thumbsup:

H

hillhead

Cheers Rob, i went this morning to look at this job and seen the slab:yikes:
it was 1.8m high,1.0m wide,and 32mm thick! heavy bugger.They supplied two tubes of
WURTH bond +seal fast. interesting.im going to start there on monday,i'll mark where its going and nail a 2x1 vertically the plant this slab to it,when plumb i'll nail another batton to other side just to make sure.The ensuite is a classic for sure,walls set with 4 different sizes of porcelain,corner shelves in shower,marble windowboard,floor in same tiles and a walk in wardrobe floor same adjoining !!! JOTM possibility here,i didn't rob on the price because they gave me 82m2 of ground floor too with 600x600 polished porcelain,bathroom,back hall,wetroom etc at later date,also i'm doing ensuite then leaving to do another job before returning to do ground floors,beautiful house too.

R

Rob Z

I think the gun here is about $600, but I could be wrong about that. It is invaluable when doing the work where the tubes are needed. I think the tubes are about $22 each and the mixing nozzle is about $6. if using the rapid 310 only one use per mixing nozzle...with the 310 regular it is possible to use it all day as long as material is pushed through it at least every 20 minutes or so.

Reply to Marble slab wall(one piece) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.