Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Liquid membrane, Durabase FX combination question in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Claude

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello all,

As i progress with my project I ran into a doubt as follows: I am currently tile a bathroom floor. I have laid down a single coat of a liquid sealing compound (weber 822), but then decided to lay Durabase matting over this, as I believe it will work better on the different joints and separate parts i have on the subfloor, where the liquid compound would eventually fail.

To be clear, this is Durabase FX, which is the 0.5mm felt-like mat, similar to Schulter Kerdi, not the decoupling plastic matting similar to Ditra.

I plan to use PCI Flexmortel S2 between the tiles and and mat. (I do understand that S2 isn't the best choice on Ditra/Durabase CI but it has been specifically recommended for the tiles/Durabase FX combination that I have. I hope that recommendation is sound!)

I am however worried about fixing the mat using S2, due to the the waterproofing compound already in place. Will S2 cure effectively when placed between two waterproof layers? (Also taking into account that there is only one coat of liquid compound)

My other option would be to go for an epoxy mortar such as Webex 844, but this is four times the price and hesitating.

Any ideas?

thanks and regards,

Claude

OP
C

Claude

-
Reaction score
Hello all,

so i've done a test by using the S2 https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to bond two sheets of membrane using a 4mm trowel (I figure if the membrane is not going to allow breathing, then if I use two sheets together would be a siutable test...)

3 days later, I was able to pull the thing apart. About 1cm into the edges was noticably darker and more moist than the edges.

Question : Is this normal? Should I have let it cure for more than 3 days?

... or should i really go for a reaction based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/?

thanks a lot in advance,

Claude

Reply to Liquid membrane, Durabase FX combination question in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock