Currently reading:
lino tiles, tile over or remove?

Discuss lino tiles, tile over or remove? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

guy1976

get them up theres no way they are a suitable background for tiling as they are only stuck to substrate with contact adhesive or bitcumen what happens when customer drags washing machine ,fridge over your tiles and they come up because of vinyl tiles are coming loose
you can contact bal,granfix,ardex,and any other adhesive manufacturer and they will tell you the same get them up

sorry for rant its happened to me before

D

DHTiling

get them up theres no way they are a suitable background for tiling as they are only stuck to substrate with contact adhesive or bitcumen what happens when customer drags washing machine ,fridge over your tiles and they come up because of vinyl tiles are coming loose
you can contact bal,granfix,ardex,and any other adhesive manufacturer and they will tell you the same get them up

sorry for rant its happened to me before

when you get time visit bal site and read their spec manual and you will see that it is OK as long as vinyls are "well adhered" to substrate and they are primed before tiling..
YES vinyl tiles can be tiled over.............

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

when you get time visit bal site and read their spec manual and you will see that it is OK as long as vinyls are "well adhered" to substrate and they are primed before tiling..
YES vinyl tiles can be tiled over.............
I endorse Daves comments,always prime and use flexible adh if possible. any expansion or contraction although limited won't then effect the integrity of the bond
icon14.gif

G

GazTech

the way they explained it was if its a sunny room and the floor gets hot off the sunlight the glue they are stuck down with will become soft and more chance of tile failure
Makes perfect sense to me,but I have spent a lot of time fixing amtico(vinyl)in conservatoties and you have to put them down with epoxy resin adhesive,otherwise the're up.Any tile fixed with epoxy adhesive is well lets say permanent!

Reply to lino tiles, tile over or remove? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.