Discuss Limestone paving sealing/cleaning advice please! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

FoxyBrighton

Hi, I had a limestone front path laid 3 weeks ago by a guy who had done some general landscaping for us. The slabs are a darkish grey colour, similar to slate. They are untreated as I didn't know about treating it and only found out about this when I started looking for advice online regarding cleaning them. The slabs are already looking quite dirty and there are some paleish powdery looking marks in places. So how should I wash them with and what do I seal them with please, there are so many products online, my head is spinning! I like the dark look of the slabs when it has rained but prefer a matt finish. I know now they should probably have been sealed or treated in some way straight away, but better late than never! My landscaper is on holiday or I would have asked him to sort this out. He has done a lot of paving before but more sandstone than limestone I think. Any advice gratefully received, many thanks, Vanessa

D

DHTiling

Any pics of this please, just to see the extent of the marks etc...? there might be more to do than simply clean and seal.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Dave, I will take a photo tomorrow if I get a chance. How do I upload it?

D

DHTiling

Look forward to them, just need to clarify the stone and the marks.

Sent from my iPhone

F

FoxyBrighton

Dave,I have taken some photos on my iPad but I can't seem to upload them to the website from the iPad grrrrr bloomin' technology! I haven't got access to a pc at the moment so will have to wait. Marks look like chalky water has been thrown over the slabs. I don't think it will go away with cleaning,I tried with some water and a broom and it's still the same.

F

FoxyBrighton

Thanks I have sent them, let me know if you have any problems receiving them. One shows the slabs wet as I thought it might help determine the type of limestone.I think it's just natural limestone but don't know if you would call it blue or black in the trade. Cheers,
Vanessa

D

DHTiling

Hi Vanessa, yes i got hem and replied.. it is Indian black limestone and those are cement stains.. bit not the worst i have seen.. try the method i suggested and then see if that works, you have to be careful what cleaner you use with it being a limestone.. but they are not that heavy marked so with luck they just might come clean..
for every one else here are the pics..
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

F

FoxyBrighton

Hi Dave, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I just googled LTP Grimex in order to purchase some and one of the top results was a post from this forum about restoring some old tiles and you have said Grimex is not suitable for black limestone and someone else on the thread said it's no good for cement stains. Just want to double check this will be the best product,thanks.
http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-cleaning-restoration/37878-ltp-grimex.html

D

DHTiling

It is suitable for limestone... not many cleaners are suitable for this type of stone.. i suggested Grimex as IMO the residue is very light and worth trying this first.. hence suggesting to use it on one small area first...

You really have to be careful what you use to clean them..

Then to get them darker colour that you like then a suitable colour enhancer will do that..

Reply to Limestone paving sealing/cleaning advice please! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay