Search the forum,

Discuss Lifting Tile + Aquapanel in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AndyJ1

Hi Guys,

So I'm currently undertaking a renovation on my first ever house. We'd finished all the tiling and I was so happy, but when we then got the plumbers in to finish the bathroom suite installation, they realised they'd forgotten to pull through the waste water pipe for the toilet. What this now means, is that the pipe is now lay underneath the floor tiles, a layer of aquapanel and the floorboards.

We know where the pipe is, and we estimate we'll need to lift 2 of the floor tiles and a section of aquapanel in order to get to the necessary floorboard. I've read loads of posts and watched plenty of videos regarding lifting floor tiles, but I can't find anything about aquapanel. Does anyone have any experience on lifting this? It's proving extremely difficult to do it neatly and I'm really worried I'm going to end up damaging the surrounding tiles.

Any tips, methods, advice, recommended tools will all be massively appreciated!

Q

Qwerty

:welcome:

It will either all need to come up, or cut out the area needed using a angle grinder with a diamond blade. My choice would be take the lot up personally as you will need to get to the floorboards. Who's fault.....you, the tiler or the plumber? My bet is the plumber so let them sort it.

A

AndyJ1

It will either all need to come up, or cut out the area needed using a angle grinder with a diamond blade. My choice would be take the lot up personally as you will need to get to the floorboards. Who's fault.....you, the tiler or the plumber? My bet is the plumber so let them sort it.

Many thanks for the reply Geoff, and for the welcome too
thumbsup:

I'm partly blaming myself as I should have done a reccy before commencing with the tiling, but yes, it was up to the plumber to complete his task and he confirmed we were good to go ahead. Unfortunately, since pointing out his mistake he's now decided to go AWOL on us! Various excuses before just not picking up his phone. We've now got a new plumber in, but obviously as it's nothing to do with him he said he'll sort it but he'd have to charge labour so I'm just going to suck it up and do it myself.

Good shout on the angle grinder, sure that would speed the process up. Just don't want to damage more tiles than is necessary.

Q

Qwerty

Only issue if it's a soil pipe is that space may be tight between joists but well worth giving it a go

W

White Room

[/QUOTE]they realised they'd forgotten to pull through the waste water pipe for the toilet. What this now means, is that the pipe is now lay underneath the floor tiles, a layer of aquapanel and the floorboards.

Not something I heard before....

W

WetSaw

Quite bizarre that no one though "where's the toilet going to go" before finishing the floor.
Agree that from the ceiling below would be good and even if access is tight you may be able to get a long drill up the side of the soil pipe through the floor above to give you a place to start grinding. Don't forget to tape up the door!

A

AndyJ1

Quite bizarre that no one though "where's the toilet going to go" before finishing the floor.

This is what happens when you're a complete DIY novice like me! Which is why I said it is partly my fault, but I am relying on the so-called "experts" to tell me that when they've done a job, it's done. People make mistakes so whilst it was a bit frustrating, it's happened. What really annoys me is the fact they've now gone AWOL rather than manning up and fixing their mistake.

I'd rather not go at it from underneath, as the room below is the living room which is pretty much finished. I'll give it a go with the angle grinder and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for everyone's contributions!

Reply to Lifting Tile + Aquapanel in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen