Search the forum,

Discuss levelling compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matty A

How difficult is it to use lev' compound?
It looks easy but if ever i get a job that requires it i dont wanna have to pass it on to a builder or others.I'm the type of person that can put his hands too anything but i dont want to practice such a large task on a paying customers house.
Is it a case of pouring it in the corner and spreading it and then adding a bit more at the side of that and spreading them till they are even and so on, or is it a bit harder than that?

Cheers :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, some are self-levelling and self-smoothing, some are just self-levelling. BAL multibase is both, with that, you mix it to a gravy-like consistency and pour it where you want it and it will find it's own level to a degree, you may need to tickle it with a trowel though.

I have seen brands where it's like plastering, really not good at all.

It is far easier than tiling, so you'll be ok. Just be sure to get the mix right.

With the BAL Multibase, you can buy a mixing bucket which has the mark on for the water level, then you tip the whole bag in it and then use a drill-mixer to mix it to get it nice and creamy, if you mix it in smaller quantities with your hands (well, a trowel) you'll find the mixes will be different and it's harder to get lumps out of such a smooth creamy mix, it isn't like bashing tile adhesive around in a bucket, it's a bit like trying to bash pebbles in a bucket of water.

Recap: get a drill-mixer and big bucket with whatever brand you choose.

Reply to levelling compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen