Search the forum,

Discuss Large Porcelain First Job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

EXRM1802

I have just completed my first job using large wall tiles (600x300). The job was a brick bond shower room and the substrate was plasterboard. I tanked the walls using the BAL WP1 shower kit and the walls were completely level. However, when i applied the tiles, being extremely careful to spread evenly, small steps / shadows formed (1mm) in certain areas. I had to remove most tiles and apply/remove adhesive to make the job look mint.
Is this common? where did i go wrong? Is this why large tiles should be priced higher?
There must be an easier way!
Good work on the site , i have finally found somewhere to ask for advice and the response is always fast and reliable. Cheers All.

G

guy1976

most large porcelain has a bow in it which is only noticable when laid brickbond where you get lips

D

DHTiling

as guy sez these porcelailn tiles can be bowed so u did correct there..as long as they are well bedded u will be ok... always price a bit higher for them as they cam be a bit more work..

G

GazTech

The bowing effect can be horrible with some large tiles ,brick bond makes the job very hard when like that.Always try to see large tiles when pricing up so you can advise the customer how to best fix them

C

clarke

Quite common for tiles that size, especially brick effect.
Like gaz said its always good to see the tiles before quoting as they can take quite a bit longer to do, therefore the price would be more than if they were average tiles.

D

DHTiling

Quite common for tiles that size, especially brick effect.
Like gaz said its always good to see the tiles before quoting as they can take quite a bit longer to do, therefore the price would be more than if they were average tiles.

in an ideal world that would be great but most customers dont choose tiles until after you have qouted for job, thats why i tell them the price is for straight forward tiling and if they get anything out of the norm then price alters...allways best to cover your back before you get any nasty shocks....................

Reply to Large Porcelain First Job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen