Search the forum,

Discuss Large format popped around edges in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Yes laitence was removed. This is the primer we used.

IMG_20190131_143230.jpg

W

Waluigi

Usually the tiler says which adhesive to use and knows which primer was used before the question has been asked.

O

Old Mod

60 days is in no way a guarantee that the screed is ready for Tiling.
Was it force dried with ufh?
How many coats of primer were used and to what dilution?
Tiling an anhydride screed with cementitious adhesive requires an in-depth knowledge, and is not something to be taken lightly.
Sounds like tile supplier needs to do more research.

O

Old Mod

I’m in no way suggesting that it’s all the fault of the supplier either.
The tiler could be just as much at fault.
The installation technique isn’t going to win any awards either.
If these are 12mm pieces, how can you tell they’ve de-bonded around the tile perimeter exactly?
Sorry if it seems a dumb question, it’s not something I’ve come across before, only lifting around edges.
What first alerted you to it, how did it present?
Are you saying the tile itself was con-caved or
con-vexed?
If they were con-caved, installation techniques would have added to the problem for sure, as well as less than favourable materials, it wouldn’t have made this a standard install.

With the industry moving more and more in the direction of extra large format tiles, a lot more education needs to take place, and that applies to right across the building industry, not just installers.
And retailers need to get their act together too, just selling this stuff isn’t good enough any more.

B

Bill

Need photos of this phenomenon ......not seen anything like as described so it could be that the description is wrong.

Reaction score
I'm the contractor. We can tell because we removed the grout on a couple and tried to lift them and they were stuck fast. I'm not really trying to point the finger at the supplier I just don't want it to happen again. And for the reason you mentioned above I would assume we will be fitting a lot more of this type of floor in the future. They were concaved a level would rock over the edges. All tiles were the same. I first noticed couple of joints cracking but now they are terrible and it seems some of the tiles have straightened out when I put a level across them. That's impossible for a porcelain tile to do right?

Reply to Large format popped around edges in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen