Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Karl dahm washboy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

shaundaly

Used my washboy for the 1st time on kitchen tiles, only to find water poured out everywhere. I had to stop as to not soak the back of the worktops and revert to using a normal sponge.

I made sure the washboy was rinsed on the rollers with no water coming out, so I cant understand why water came out when using. Is it the quality of the sponge? although I thought Karl Dahm were good. Has anyone else had this problem or got any ideas?

D

DHTiling

Could be the sponge quality ..i tend to use a hand sponge on kitchen splash backs..and i use the rubi sponges for the wash-boy they tend to wring out well......dave..

p.s...do the karl dahm sponges have segmented faces on them..to grab the grout quicker.....the ones i use do and they are spot on...

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Varley

There seems to be a few people having problems with washboys lately, I can honestly say that I never experience a problem with mine.

There will be more water held in the washboy sponge than a normal sponge but there shouldn't be excessive amount as you are saying. Could be down to the sponge you are using.

Personally I wouldn't bother with washboy for kitchens. Only use mine on floors or when I have a big bathroom to do.
----
p.s...do the karl dahm sponges have segmented faces on them..to grab the grout quicker.....the ones i use do and they are spot on...

Same here mate ;)

S

shaundaly

Cheers guys,

No they have not got segmented faces on them. I am disappointed at that as I thought they all had them. Got from Trade Tiler but now have 2 sponges that may as well go in the bin.:icon8:
I will get a new sponge so as to use on floors, but will probably use a hand sponge for kitchen walls.

Rubi or Karl Dahm washboy sponges?

Shaun

D

DHTiling

G

grumpygrouter

I have the very same washboy with the very same sponges. I have cut mine carefully with a stanley blade. They work fine but you do need to be careful ensuring that they are rung out tightly. They do hold a lot of water, more than I was expecting I have to say.

Grumpy

S

shaundaly

Cheers lads,

I will be buying the new ones as Dave has suggested.

Thanks

Shaun

G

Grace'sDad

I know the problem you mean.

Try 2 things though: 1)Don't use too much pressure on the wipe-off.

2) When you run the float over the rollers, get into the habit of turning the float round 180degrees and run it from the other end. When you get to the "back" of the float on the rollers (just before it runs off them) tilt the nose up so that you really wring out the last bit of water which tends to collect at the back of the sponge.

Hope this helps.

B

brian c

tbh,i was getting fed up with the washboy and probs with it,that i reverted back to the sponges...Rubi ones are good.

K

karlm98

you have to get used to getting the water out of the sponges, keep trying but only use on the bigger stuff, splashbacks are always better with the old method of sponge hands bucket..

the sponges that come with the Karl Dahm are really good just throw your utility knife around the sponge (new blade) not to deep just enough say 3mm..that should help grab more grout.rinse i always do more than two go's over the rollers and tilt back so the ends wring out.

Reply to Karl dahm washboy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks