Search the forum,

Discuss job today, in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

hi well turned up at the job this morning hammer and chisel in hand ready to go nuts. turns out they havnt had the units on show removed yet so I cant start the job tmoz, also told me they want me to go straight over the old tiles. didn't feel I needed to voice my concerns as they already know and also theres a painted plywood wall also told them may have to over board the play or at least try to remove the paint and they just want me to go straight over it after scoring. so its down to them I suppose what do you think?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bear in mind it's a showroom and not a customers house so longevity is much less of an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Or have I mis understood and it isn't a showroom??

M

Mr Tiler

more than happy to go ahead though there is one small issue but im pretty certain I know how to deal with it

Reaction score
Welcome to the real world.
Tilers depend on all the other trades before us, so expect plenty of wasted days in the future..

On topic though, I've never been involved in doing displays etc, but if Mr & Mrs Smith are shopping at the weekend and little boy Johnny is with them, and he starts pratting around climbing all over stuff, then I'm sure the store will be more than happy with the risk, to take all the blame and to foot the liability..

But I would've sorted all this out before day 1 of the job - ie, What exactly is it you want me to tile? who, what, why, where, when.
6 P's is it?

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
do what you know is right not good cutting corners when you are just startig off,if they insist you do it and you dont want to loose the job ,get them to sign a disclaimer saying it is bad practice and you wont have any comebacks if they fall off, up to you but its wrong

M

Mr Tiler

Welcome to the real world.
Tilers depend on all the other trades before us, so expect plenty of wasted days in the future..

On topic though, I've never been involved in doing displays etc, but if Mr & Mrs Smith are shopping at the weekend and little boy Johnny is with them, and he starts pratting around climbing all over stuff, then I'm sure the store will be more than happy with the risk, to take all the blame and to foot the liability..

But I would've sorted all this out before day 1 of the job - ie, What exactly is it you want me to tile? who, what, why, where, when.
6 P's is it?
thanks martyn, I suppose lack of dealing with customers got the better of me on that one mate.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Write yourself a checklist for each job and tick each item off as you deal with it. There will be three basic sections

pre start
installation
post install

each of which will be split into sub categories. The per start will be the biggest as you should try and agree all works to be done up front.

M

Mr Tiler

yeh we agreed what will be happening, seems when I sorted this out a few weeks back I was speaking to the wrong person. but the gaffa was there today im guessing he made the descisions, maybe I will have to write up an agreement with them.

T

Time's Ran Out

They just want this job done for nothing then you won't hear from them again!
If they had been a serious outfit the room would have been stripped and ready for you to start.
Another one who just want a show but not the quality!
IMHO - For someone with such little experience you are expecting too much and unless you have your public liability insurance sorted your putting everyone at risk!

Reply to job today, in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen