Discuss Is this ply board ok to tile onto? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Element

TF
Reaction score
I'm quoting for a 40sqm floor job that needs ply boarding onto wooden floor boards. Looking for the best deal on fouteen 18mm boards and so far the cheapest up here seems to be this one from Wickes:

Structural Spruce Plywood - Plywood - Sheet Materials -Building Materials - Wickes

If screwed down every 20cms, would it be ok? Has anyone used it before? The tiles are likely to be 45cms x 45cms ceramics. I have used B&Qs ply but this is £5 cheaper each board.

Many thanks for your values opinions :)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Try Ridgeons, they're pretty good on timber and sheet material if you have a trade account with them.

D

doug boardley

you'll need to make sure your floorboards are deflection (bounce free) before overboarding. personally I'd then add a cement board over the ply.

P

Perry

Spruce is softwood i believe so you would need wpb if you are going to tile on it directly

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
what kind of condition are the floorboards? cant you just use hardi backer direct.....deal on atm in a certain shop have a hunt about

Element

TF
Reaction score
Had my doubts over this spruce ply tbh... floorboards pretty dire condition, but figured 18mm ply would suffice then tile on top with flexy addy...

H

hillhead

Ply is crap for tiling straight onto, cement boards or ditra the whole lot.
Too much deflection in ply, it's mostly sourced from China these days and is unsuitable for tiling onto.

Element

TF
Reaction score
I haven't yet had a problem with tiling onto 18mm ply screwed comprehensively to either chipboard or wood floorboards; deflection can occur in such boards but when the load is spread with thick ply you'd really have to deliberately & aggresively jump up and down on the same spot to create a problem enough for a tile to come loose or crack... I've know floors that were tiled on 18mm ply 8 years ago without any obvious problem today...?

M

Mike

I haven't yet had a problem with tiling onto 18mm ply screwed comprehensively to either chipboard or wood floorboards; deflection can occur in such boards but when the load is spread with thick ply you'd really have to deliberately & aggresively jump up and down on the same spot to create a problem enough for a tile to come loose or crack... I've know floors that were tiled on 18mm ply 8 years ago without any obvious problem today...?
as said by joe (hillhead) a lot of ply is poor grade from china and is not suitable for tiling on. maybe it was better quality years ago or maybe you were lucky. the experts on here know what there talking about and you'll be taking a risk by not heeding there advice. good luck with it

Reply to Is this ply board ok to tile onto? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay