Search the forum,

Discuss Is this a poor finish?? Opinions please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Davidmit

Hi all,

hopeing to get some advice from the pros. I've completely gutted out bathroom and have been getting everything sorted before getting it tiled. As a background I have underfloor heating mats down and concrete.

Spent a fair bit on tiles from porcelainosa and got a tiler in who was recommended and charges out at xx per meter. I am a bit of a perfectionist and like things done right, and now the tiling is finished it's not quite perfect. But I'm hoping for opinions as to how I can fix it.

The main problem was the ceiling is sloping in the bathroom, and where the tiles are finished the guys grouted between the tiles and the bottom of the ceiling slope. Is this normal? As its looks rubbish, so i need to hide the fact the tiles are slightly different lengths and the grout is a different thickness.
8707216835_5a66da0cd5_b.jpg Can I paint grout?

Blimey, those where quick replies! thats what I get for trying to do it on the ipad, couldnt seem to attach a pic. It doesnt look terrible by any stretch, I may be being very picky. But I've read that I cant paint grout, so the wobbly grout line is quite obvious. I'd have preferred a clean edging strip, but I'm guessing getting one of those put on afterwards is pretty much impossible?

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to TF. We really need to see pics if you can post them to make an informed opinion.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would have personally chamfered the back of the tile to the angle of the slope so the front of the tile meets the ceiling with a gap of 2mm left for a bead of silicon

I know its difficult without seeing the whole bathroom but was it not possible for him to set out so a full tile finished on the ceiling slope rather than a smallish cut like that?

P

Peter

Usually they're miles off - makes sense to keep the cuts the same rather than rake to the wonky profile of the ceiling. A bit of tile trim hides it a bit better though.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
See what you're saying Pete dependant on how far ceiling is out, maybe I've just been lucky and not had one that was more than 5mm out over length of wall and it wasn't noticeable at all unless you measured it

D

Davidmit

That's why I'm thinking if I masked off along the top of the tiles and painted so at least the line is straight? Anyone know if I can paint the grout with ceiling paint?

D

DHTiling

The probs with sloping ceilings is the dodgy plastering.. so i like to mitre off the tile back to allow a closer fit... but what you have there is a tidy job but with a grout joint.. not the end of the world quality wise IMO..

mask the tiles off and cut in with paint..

Reply to Is this a poor finish?? Opinions please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen