Search the forum,

Discuss insurance job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

why tile

hi all, havent been on for a while and am loving the new look site:thumbsup:

i am on a job at the moment, it is a insurance job on a wetroom floor.

basically i did a trace and access for the insurance company and found that the waste gully was loose and when i got underneth found it was leaking. the room is ground floor and has had a false floor put in, which has now started collapsing.

so a price was agreed with the insurance company and the work has been starrted.

as i was ripping up the floor it became aparent that the gully wasnt the only thing that had been leaking there was puddles of water coming from the toilet area and when i removed the toilet the flexi pan connector had big holes in it possibly been nibbled by a mouse.

photo.jpg

the 6"x2" joists just crumbled in to dust when touched, it must have been leaking for years there was mould and damp up the wall outside the bathroom.

anyway i have had to remove the bottom row of tiles to fit the waterproof membrane and it turns out that the tile shop that supplied the tiles no longer stock them the customer says they were verry rude and unhelpful when she spoke to them.

now im not sure what to do if we cant get the original tiles then the whole room will have to be replaced not.

im not sure if the insurance will cough up for the room to be re tiled, has any one else had any dealings with insurance companies who could offer advice.

i did put on the original estimate that there would be a possibility of extra work as i could not see if there was extra dammage under the floor.

any advice would be great

thanks mark
:smilewinkgrin::thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Contact the insurance company, tell them that your initial suspicion of more work has become a reality and there is far more work than originally thought, they may want to send an assessor out.

J

jay

the flexi pan conector looks like it rotted from the inside out might be some sort of acid used as above contact insurer

S

Stewart

I doubt they will cover the cost to re-tile the bathroom because the tile has been discontinued, but they will cover the additional damage found. Contact them asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.....

W

why tile

I doubt they will cover the cost to re-tile the bathroom because the tile has been discontinued, but they will cover the additional damage found. Contact them asap.

surely they have to put the room back as it was before the leak and if this means the tiles have to be changed then so be it.imo
otherwise it will look like a patchwork?

S

Stewart

Not anymore....... They changed the rules on this as it was open to abuse.

They can claim that the remaining wall tiles are not faulty or damaged, so don't need replaced. They do make exceptions, but not very often.

B

Billy Hunt

Ive had similar,leaking shower had to remove and re-fit bath,insurance company would only pay for remove and refit bottom row of tiles,explained that tiles were disontinued was basicly told not there problem!had to get a similar match.
Like Stewart says open to abuse so they have to draw the line somewhere i suppose.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My aunt broke her loo not long ago, dropped something on it decorating and chipped/cracked it. The suite isn't available now so they replaced the lot. No tiles needed though as there was only a small basin splash-back and 3 rows around the bath which got replaced anyway as she chose a different colour suite.

So I'd contact them, they know once it's done it'll not need doing again and if they do a bodge job this time it probably will be so they'd put that into account too.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
as above .........did one couple of weeks back would only pay for the first couple of courses from the bath........customer had the whole lot retiled as before but had to pay for the rest herself.

W

White Room

Done one a long time ago, the grout had cracked and destroyed the shower room, insurance paid everything except the grouting because that was the cause........

Reply to insurance job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen