Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Industrial tiling in the UK in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

hqdefault.jpg

...this thread!

W

WetSaw

I remember our first telephone line. A shared line so sometimes you picked up the phone only to hear someone already on it and my mum having to book the call to her sister in Australia and waiting to be connected. Our first colour television was a revelation and waiting for the programs to start in the evening as there wasn't 24/7 broadcasting. Ahhh, the good old days.

D

Dumbo

Exactly my point on here always .we don't do best methods just a cost saving alternative that most bought into
So according to you the change in tiling practises drove the change in house building process rather than the change in house building process ie timber stud walls with sheet plasterboard etc driving the change in tiling practises .

O

One Day

Anyone still build their wet rooms out of wattle and daub ? I remember the good old days before any of this German waterproof board nonsense, we could knock out a wet room in a couple of months for less than a hundred groats and a few turnips.

Reaction score
This is a fascinating video, I don't want to see this disappear, but in modern homes there is no call for this.

I am only trained in modern tiling techniques and too old in the tooth to change. Hopefully there are youngsters out there who will keep the traditions alive.

O

One Day

There is a lot to learn from the old methods. I've limited hands on experience with them, but I got a copy of caxtons which was a lengthy but good read.

F

Flintstone

Lets be right here, I'm an old fashioned chap but there are somethings you need to embrace and technology is one of them, things develop and new materials are created to make things easier, cheaper, better at there job. You can't hang about dwelling on old methods and products. Look at phones, wasn't that long ago we had phones that couldn't even send a text, now look, embrace it or get left behind, that applies to all trades

B

Blunt Tool

Nothing wrong in mentioning past materials and methods now and then! Just wait 20 years and the next generation of tilers will yawn when you mention tanking, Wedi boards, Hardi boards zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

F

Flintstone

We aren't fixing quarry tiles anymore, we're fixing massive porcelain tiles and glass mosaics and using power showers and having heated floors in bathrooms

B

Blunt Tool

We aren't fixing quarry tiles anymore, we're fixing massive porcelain tiles and glass mosaics and using power showers and having heated floors in bathrooms
The Romans had heated floors! And some of their tiling is still around today! Don't think Mrs Smith from down the road cares if it is still around in a hundred years, she just wants a bonnie bathroom like no6 that will last till she gets bored and hounds Mr Smith for a new one.

Pat

TF
Reaction score
Great to read some reply's, was just interested to hear back if its still going. Be sad to hear of it totally gone. I worked mostly on the industrial flooring side with sand and cement, doing creameries back home in Ireland. The floors were done 36+ years ago now by my father and a lot of his brothers and uncles, big tiling family back in the day its fair to say. The floors are nearly done now (but still down) and ready to be ripped out but thats more to the maintenance being giving to other firms with not knowledge of sand and cement work for a number of years and the money not being spent and them not being pointed where needed yearly. Great video by the way Andy, I heard many a story from no age of my uncles doing wall tiling just like that video.

Pat

TF
Reaction score
Just wondering while I'm here, whats the best way to go about getting a tilers cscs card coming from Ireland ? Just one that would get me on to sites to work at tiling, I'm not sure I'll be here long term so not looking to spend crazy money to get the best card, I know there are a few cards. Any info would be great.

Reply to Industrial tiling in the UK in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks