Search the forum,

Discuss how to clean a danish oiled worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hello all,i went to see a job today where the lady has had a travertine splashback done 2 weeks ago,she wasnt happy with it and to be honest itsd a pretty poor job ,any way on top of that she has a wooden worktop stained with danish oil which has grout haze embedded into the wooden grain in places as i can only assume the tiler didnt cover the tops....anyway iv got the tiling job and she wants th worktop brought back as well how would i go about it

my thought were sand it back and re oil or will simply re oiling on top suffice to sort this part of the job

cheers all:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

I would try white spirit first to see if you can lift the old oil off and then re oil

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
cheers mike so use neat white spirits on the whole area then re oil the lot? how many coats does the oil need do you know mate

i take it i shdnt sand it or simply re oil it

M

mikethetile

to sand it you will need to lift the oil off anyway as it will just clog your scratch, the haze should be in the old oil and not into the wood

use the spirit neat , meths will do the same as it is pure spirit but it stinks . when oiling you oil untill it doesnt soak in any more, 3 coats is usually enough, if you thin the first coat with spirit it will soak in and seal the wood. you might get away with one full coat but it may take more, when its slow to soak in leave to dry a bit then buff with a soft cloth to remove any excess

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
lovely jubbly,what kind of time would this take so i can price it its a 2 metre lendth top would you charge a day rate?

S

SandyFloor

You just reminded me of my one and only disaster many years ago and it was grout stains on a worktop. The customer insisted on polythene on the worktop which they fixed with masking tape close to the wall. On washing off the grout it soaked through the tape and marked the worktop in a few places. Anytime since I've always insisted the worktop is uncovered when cleaning grout with no problems whatsoever.

S

strummerman

av the tops been oiled at least 5 times in the first place and once a month after that you must keep on top of timber tops once the oil drys out you av to strip them back and if they are stained with grout and it as got into the timber they will av to be striped back down to the bare timber

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi strummer,oh to be honest i have no idea how many times they oiled them,it was a kitchen company she said that installed

i doubt if she has kept them topped up i did notice juice and other water borne stains on them as well in places so i assume they havent been topped up,,so what would you suggest if mikes aproach doesnt work do i sand it back?

is this a big job? ta peeps

M

mikethetile

as mike has said if the oils gone off the top then they will need sanding and bringing forward with oil , I was assuming they had kept them oiled, for pricing I would allow a full day

Reply to how to clean a danish oiled worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen