Search the forum,

Discuss Hi, Looking for a tiler/handy man can I offer my services in trade? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dbairduk

Hello,
I can see forums about offering services and one about tilers websites.
I am a professional web designer/software developer who needs his bathroom sorting! Have the tiles just need the proffesional!
Do i need to register as a sponsor to offer my service in trade? Or would I just need to do this if i was after touting more than a one off trade?

Not even sure if anyone would be interested yet. Just wanted to check the rules on this kind of offering..

Regards

Dave

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum!

Hi dbairduk and welcome to tilersforums.com!

M

mikethetile

:welcome:really it depends if what your offering is worth a tiler giving up payment for

D

dbairduk

hello gooner, I am originally from Wales, Aberystwyth... but lived in merthyr for a while

D

dbairduk

mike as a professional software developer my hourly rate is £40.
I would offer hour for hour work, bespoke software if needed.
I have written e-commerce systems, quote calculators for hualage companies. Photo galleries with shopping carts for photographers.... and thats in my spare time...
During the day I write credit card payment processing systems for local government mainly.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

You're right my first post was automated. :)

Eeeerm, I'm on the fence on this one. We had a guy offering the same sort of thing a few weeks ago and he was a right plonker and I doubt he would have got a tiler to do what he wanted for the price of a website.

As a web developer myself, and as we have a forum sponsor that provides web services to the forum, I've never wanted to allow this sort of thing too often as I know it can cost a lot more for tiling services than a website costs.

Just a website that isn't ranked isn't worth much at all (though can cost a grand or more). We've sourced a firm that for a few hundred quid, and a bit of my time once it's completed, can put together a website that actually gets business in.

So if you can offer something that IS going to turn out better for the tiler. I'm sure somebody (if you're lucky and they're localish) will take you up. Though I doubt you can charge £40/hr for web design right now though I'm sure a software developer could.

I'm a guy who trades like this with lots of locals. It brings back the meaning in the word trading. A skill for a skill. So I'd allow this providing you really can build an optimised website and it does get at least equal the jobs back quite quickly for the tiler.

Otherwise, I'd recommend you use your £40/hr wage to pay a tiler to tile your bathroom.

:D

All the best.

D

diamondtiling

good thanks diamond, where in cheshire are you?

Hi Dave, I am just outside Crewe, I cover all of the UK if the job warrants it.
I think you might struggle with your quid pro quo offer to be honest. Tiling is my way to earn money and I like fat checks or a stack of cash to be honest.
If you post some more info in the relevant forum about your job and maybe a few pictures I will see if I can help you.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

D

dbairduk

problem is the wage gets eaten up by the other comitments! :mad2:

I would not expect £40p/h but was quoting it as my salary.
I know alot of design companies will just fling a template with no functionality into the site. Or keep the customer on a leash so it becomes costly when they want to add a picture. I have prehaps 3 companies outside work that I do development for, and look after them.
SEO (Search engine optimization) takes time, if anyone claims they can get you to the top straight away it's a myth(without paying anyway)! Sure there are things that can help, fully strict xhtm, meta data, all the ususal.
But a website is a marketing tool.. now the more places your url apears on the web the more times it will get hit... And the better the site and your portfolio looks the more interest you will get.

I am not touting any business or false hope... I have a BSc in Web based computer science, and work for one of the largest companies local government outsource too.

Most of my tiling is done I am basically after a bath taking out and a shower tray and enclosure putting in, the part of the wall where the bath was re-tiled, and the floor re-tiled. the bathroom is maybe 5m2. And I am after labour only not a whole suite :lol:

I am willing to write some software to go behind the site, even if to calulate quotes on given materials and area size, offer a years hosting on a shared server. Offer email hosting and all the ususal.
I have 4 years Microsoft .NET commercial experience and 2 Years Java. 4 years spent in Univeristy Of Wales Abersystwyth gettting my BSc.

I have not written a tilers website before but I have seen a few...... I nice looking website would definatly influence my choice in choosing someone.

Simple Skill for Skill is all it is...

D

dbairduk

Hi Diamond, its maybe a day or two's work.. I would give you a good site for it. It might suite someone more local though as it is quite a small job

D

diamondtiling

whats a tilers avarage daily rate then?

I charge £41 per hour..............:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Prices cant be discussed in this forum Dave, sorry mate. Hope you find someone to help you out.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Hi, Looking for a tiler/handy man can I offer my services in trade? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen