Discuss Help regarding quartz resin tiles. Lifting and now have warped in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice.
2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and paid the company to fit the tiles at the time. My wife selected quartz resin tiles the kitchen company did not supply them so another supplier. these tiles are 60x60 starluxe tiles, the adhesive and gout were supplied by the tile supplier.
fast forward to 6 months ago and 90% of the tiles have started to lift, grout started to come away on all the joints.
We don't have underfloor heating. But we do have patio doors. (not direct sunlight there is a lean too on the other side) the worst tile that had completely lifted we pulled up to find it had been dot and dabbed.
to cut a long story short 50% of the tiles are now warping. The company sent a fitter out this week his first excuse, "you've had a leak" tested with a moisture meter to find between 0.8% and 1.2% readings. bearing in mind even though a lot of the tiles are missing grout and my wife and I have tried to keep things clean (floor wipes etc) his next excuse was the patio doors and thermal variance. the tiles in front although lifting have not warped. they are also flush to the patio doors with no expansion gap.
The company has now returned back to us with they will not re fit the tiles as putting them in front of patio doors goes against the suppliers warnings. also they say due to moisture being detected this has been contributary and suggests an issue with the sub floor.
We are at our wits end and Im honestly losing the will. I have returned with info on dot and dab etc / expansion gaps and they are suggesting they may accept some liability but they need to progress this to a manager etc. the image with the green tape on the tiles indicates tiles lifting. the patio doors are are in the dining room.
Please If someone could advise it would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail_MAC_1877.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 45
  • thumbnail_MAC_1895.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 43
  • thumbnail_MAC_1899.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 41

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
It looks as though the de-bonded tiles are in the “high traffic” areas.
It doesn’t look as though the tile installation has been carried out correctly as there appears to be no trowelling of adhesive and no back skimming of the tiles so a decent bond has not been made.

In my opinion the problem lies with incorrect installation, however, do you know what adhesive was supplied and was it latex based as this could also be part of the problem?

Reaction score
It looks as though the de-bonded tiles are in the “high traffic” areas.
It doesn’t look as though the tile installation has been carried out correctly as there appears to be no trowelling of adhesive and no back skimming of the tiles so a decent bond has not been made.

In my opinion the problem lies with incorrect installation, however, do you know what adhesive was supplied and was it latex based as this could also be part of the problem?
Hi, thank you for your reply.
I do not know if it was latex adhesive or not. I know the tile supplier provided the adhesive and grout etc. they have since confirmed in their opinion that the correct adhesive has been used.
The fitting company in question contacted me the other day. offering to refund the tile fitting fee (as a gesture of goodwill) I said "no thank you"
I think its time to pass this to lawyers.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Get an independent expert report done. Anyone who knows anything about tiling will know that this is spot fixing. Does not need any standards and is not of the nature or quality reasonably expected.

Reply to Help regarding quartz resin tiles. Lifting and now have warped in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks