Discuss Gutted! Really really gutted. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

stoner

Went to start a job today that i priced 2 months ago, got the job despite not being the cheapest i was possibly the most professional as i was told. 45m2 porcelain just what i needed after a slow 6 weeks while kids were off. Against all of my advice the customer has fitted 6mm ply unstaggered, screwed down at 6in centres (3000 screws) and and upto 3-4mm gaps in places and then pva'd.:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Mad aint the word, he said he was happy with the thickness of the boards and he would'nt pursue me if it went wrong and he would even sign something to say so. I pointed out disclaimers are worth nothing in court as i knew what i was doing was wrong, said my sorry's etc and no doubt somebody would do it and left. Feel like i've been messed about with running about and i've got 10 bags of addy out my pocket in van doing nothing. Really hacked off!!

I know what i've done is right, just needed to get it off my chest. Out of interest what do you think the chances of said floor going wrong??

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi stoner,i fully sympathise with you,its customer after customer jst now ruining jobs with there penny pinching nonsense

if youve got the money to buy and fit 45 metres of porcelain youve got the money to bloody prep it correctly imo

try and get deposits off all customers and get it in writing the prep etc that must be done
i do this as much as possible

U

user123

Urrrgh! Does he know why it's a no-no and that it would be ok if the proper boards were put on top? Mabye you should ring him and explain that putting the proper backer boards down would cost him less in the long run than likely aggro further down the line...

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
trying to explain to these peopel mg about prep is a waste of time sometimes.....they cant see past the money they think they are saving

what they dont realise is how it has affected the tiler meant to be doing the job,...that lads just lost his mortgage money no doubt

sorry bit of a rant ....sick to death of them at the minute and the way they are behaving

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Idiots they are! You wouldn't cut back on wiring for a sparky or gas plumbing parts for a plumber so why the hell do it for a tilers substrate? It can cause just as much damage!

Gets my back up man!

U

user123

I know, Jamie et al..just trying to think of a way this could be saved so he can get that job back and it being done properly.. it sucks, doesn't it?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
its utter nonsense g,i agree

id like to see some of these customers go to there work on a monday morning and be told oh i dont need u after all...best u go home with no pay for the next 7 days

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
couldn't agree more, im sat on my backside doing nowt because i knocked back two jobs, due to bad prep, as kilty said, there penny pinchers, they buy the cheapest tiles, and prep a job themselfs to save money.....they dont listen to your advice, and convince themselfs your just trying to rip them off........and ive had more of it this year than any year i can remember !!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stoner

Hi, yes he knew all too well about possible problems etc, i recommended 'no more ply' originally and he did'nt like the cost so he's hardly going to want to pay out again. Thanks.

S

stoner

what they dont realise is how it has affected the tiler meant to be doing the job,...that lads just lost his mortgage money no doubt

In one matey!!

C

CJ CERAMICS

Stoner in my opinion you did the right thing.
disclaimers are useless in court and this job may well have ended up costing you more than you make.

I truly hope more work comes your way soon.

chris

S

stoner

You're not kidding cj. He got some discontinued black porcelain, normal rrp £70, he paid £25m2. Try replacing those for that price. Works not too bad now and i've got 2 small jobs which i've managed to get in starting tomorow, then 25m2 of porcelain next week. I'm just trying to make up for august.

Reaction score
some people eh!! stupid isn't the word!!!, and it has cost you in material's, cant you drop off the addy and charge them retail/delivery so you at least get your money back budd :thumbsup:

O

One Day

Really gutted for you!

I have terms and conditions on all my quotes which the customer must accept before I will book the job in.
Basically states that if conditions are not as agreed or make the job impossible and I haven't had at least 7 days notice, they are liable for lost days at £***.

Never had to enforce it and legally it's probably worthless but I know it's saved me at least twice from a similar situation. It puts them off and makes them THINK!
(PM me your email and I'll send you a copy)

Reply to Gutted! Really really gutted. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks