Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout thickness for normal (not rectified) tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all. I hope you're well.

I am going to be installing some 300 x 600 on walls and 600 x 600 on floor. Now I believe these are not rectified. Do you take a few tiles from different packs to see the variation in sizes or do you put a 3mm spacer in.

I didn't even know there were precise cut tiles. I would have ordered them if I did. Now after a 5 week wait for them to be delivered I have discovered this. Quite sad I am.

OP
L
Reaction score
The funny thing is, all the other tile sizes in this range are all Rectified apart from the 300 x 600. They do get bigger though. Is it more common for bigger tiles to be rectified?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The funny thing is, all the other tile sizes in this range are all Rectified apart from the 300 x 600. They do get bigger though. Is it more common for bigger tiles to be rectified?
It depends on the tile design etc. Most porcelain tiles of that format tend to be a rectified edge.
Check sizes of wall and floor tiles and see if a joint between two wall tiles is equal to one floor tile , that will determine joint size.

OP
L
Reaction score
It depends on the tile design etc. Most porcelain tiles of that format tend to be a rectified edge.
Check sizes of wall and floor tiles and see if a joint between two wall tiles is equal to one floor tile , that will determine joint size.

Hi. Thank you so much for replying to my post and the advice. I will do as you have stated. If I may, could I ask what spacers to use (not size). I have seen some fancy ones or the cheap ones. Do people use a levelling system on 600 x 300 on a wall. I have built my walls and they are pretty plumb but not sure how bowed the tiles will be. I have been trying tests to see what thickness of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ I need to use when fitting my shower valve etc by bedding a 600 x 600 (one I had left) tile down with a 10mm square notched trowel and back buttering and got 6mm https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed but only about 85% covereage. So this I believe will be ok for the 300 x 600.

For the floor going to go with a 12mm x 12mm trowel and back buttering. This then I belive will give me 7mm https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed. Does this sound right?

The thing I am a little confused about is the trims, if I have a 9mm tile and use a 10mm trim, what about the thickness of the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/? I have seen people push the trim behind the tile after the tile was fixed. Is this OK?

Thanks all. I am a plumber, who did a tile course yrs ago to tile my own bathrooms but have forgot lots.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your fixing methods look to be fine. Press tiles firmly for a better https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ spread behind the tiles. Use a 12mm trim. đź‘Ť
Thank you Sir. This is reassuring to hear. May you have a great weekend.

OP
L
Reaction score
Evening ladies and gents. I am after a bit more advice about tile layout.

I want to stack my wall tiles on top of each other but is this OK if I don't have one wall that has the same dimensions? If I set my 360 laser up in the middle of the longest room and it projects onto the back wall and side walls but only one wall it will be in the middle of. So do I centre the tile on each wall separately as long as I have no slivers?

Or is brick bond a better pattern in this situation?

Thank you.
Shower area.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Morning all. I hope everyone is well. So back to setting out my tiles dry on the floor and have discovered the floor tiles will not be able to line up with the wall tiles as the floor tiles are 2mm larger. Which is fine. A question I do have though is that how do you level the tiles horizontally and vertically if they have not straight edges? Do you actually use spacers for non rec tiles. Do you level the highest spot on the top of each tile.

Thank you

OP
L
Reaction score
An example of what I mean. No tiles will line up with each other horizontally vertically. These are not cheap tiles either.

Attachments

• 20210828_074715.jpg
    20210828_074715.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Grout thickness for normal (not rectified) tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock