Discuss Grout lines in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I am in the process of tiling my kitchen floor with 600x600 tiles. The spacers I'm using are 3mm. Is it okay if there is small change in grout lines. I'm only talking like a mm bigger and a mm smaller in places. Where the lines intersect there is sometimes a thin line meeting a slightly thicker one. I think the discrepancy is happening with the leveling clips pushing against tiles a small amount.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
it's not ideal really as it will knock it all out come the next row and so on.

Make sure you push your wedge into the clip towards an already laid tile as doing the opposite does push your tile out and can change the spacing. I also use spacers alongside the clips

Reaction score
it's not ideal really as it will knock it all out come the next row and so on.

Make sure you push your wedge into the clip towards an already laid tile as doing the opposite does push your tile out and can change the spacing. I also use spacers alongside the clips

Thanks, il make sure and pay close attention to it. Yeah I'm using tile spacers along with the levelling clips.

The tiles are a rustic type and the grout is a light colour so I'm hoping those will help to make the small differences harder to notice.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If you feel the clips have slightly knocked it out once you tighten them you can gently release the wedge back out and fix it

Reaction score
Also it could be due to sizing of the tiles. Some makes can differ by a mm or so.
Thanks. Having checked the manufacturer docs it looks like they can +-2mm. They are a rustic style tile so this is prob why it is so much but I'm just trying to keep things looks good at the joints. At the moment it all looks pretty good and I would imagine with grout and slight variation is less obvious as long as the grout isn't a stark contrast to the tiles.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks. Having checked the manufacturer docs it looks like they can +-2mm. They are a rustic style tile so this is prob why it is so much but I'm just trying to keep things looks good at the joints. At the moment it all looks pretty good and I would imagine with grout and slight variation is less obvious as long as the grout isn't a stark contrast to the tiles.

Yes , grouting will help. đź‘Ť

Reply to Grout lines in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks