Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Granite Tile - G654 Padang Dark Granite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Ramag

I have never seen a granit tile bleed like this in the pictures supplied, if they were marble tiles I could understand the problem. The only granit of such bad quality I have seen is these cheap Chinesse so called granit tiles that are flooding the market in Germany, Holland and Belguim. You only have to spit on the back of a quality granit tile to test its quality, the spit stays put. But on the cheap kunstgranit tile from China the spit soaks in. Granit is waterproof and also good adhesives would never get this reaction. Contact the manufactures direct and tell them you will publish these pictures in the national newspapers. And also any good manufactuer of adhesive would remove a layed tile and test there product. PCI, Sopro and Mapei would do this within 48 hours.

J

jay

hi and thanks for pics if the color was dark all over originaly there has to be some reaction going on lookes a lot like the adh is bleeding through if it was moisture they should go darker are they sealed with anything and what are you currently cleaning them with just to cover all bases :8:and yes get all people invokved in the tiling job back supplier and tilers

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

There only appears to be two options, either its a natural occurance that happens with the particular granite you have, I say this because you mention that they were all the same when laid, if this is the case then you either live with them or replace with new, or the shop have sold you two different batches and they are responsible. I cannot see how they can use the rule that once the tiles are fixed then they cannot be held responsible, they have clearly been telling you to wait for the tiles to dry, you have waited and the results are clear.
I would not want a floor like that in my kitchen, if it was far more staggered than it is then that would have looked so much better, has the tiler picked from one box at a time like I mentioned in an earlier reply?
Who was the supplier? can you get an independent supplier to give you their opinion?
Where area are you in the country?

G

garyc4507

hi as you can see from the photos the swirling affect is from the guaging trowl obviously the floor was not level or flat in the begining the granit tiles look very thin for this to happen they should of been solid bed and this would not happen i have over three hundred meters of various collerd granit in my house and no problems although the granit is30mm thick most granit is not very porouse so in english weather it will take maybe 5-6 months to dry properly you could get yourself a de humidifier that will quicken the prosses good luck:thumbsup:

N

Nardini

It has already been said that adhesive color will often affect the final colour appearance of granite (and limestone, of course) tiles. It is very important to match adhesive to tile as close as possible and NEVER change colour in the middle of a job!

Having said that, I would suggest it possible that the stone was from different sources - or different parts of the same quarry - giving you the variation. When the stone was wet it would have tended to look the same, but the natural colour is showing as it is now drying.

If you procured the stone, did you specify the same colour batch to be supplied? if so, the problem is with your stone supplier (assuming you keep quiet about changing adhesive colour in mid-job!).

If not, all you can do is put it down to experience and bite the inevitable bullet as soon as you can to get the pain over and done with.

S

shaic

To clarify, the tiles have not been sealed on the recommedation of the tile manufacturer/seller who has until now maintained that the tiles need time to dry and that Granite being a natural stone, will always return to its original colour regardless of the type of adhesive used.

From what is being said, this is clearly not true for these tiles, and this appears to be a "quality" issue.

E

enduro

To clarify, the tiles have not been sealed on the recommedation of the tile manufacturer/seller who has until now maintained that the tiles need time to dry and that Granite being a natural stone, will always return to its original colour regardless of the type of adhesive used.

From what is being said, this is clearly not true for these tiles, and this appears to be a "quality" issue.
Go onto www.nsraweb.com it's a very good web site and you will get an answer here its the National stone restoration Alliance, and its an american web site but i use these guys loads for stone info. :thumbsup:

S

Spud

have to agree with gary c on this the tiles should have laid to a solid bed and the backs of the tiles flatted off with adhesive, i have seen this before with light colour granite and as a general rule always flat spread the backs of natural stone tiles as well as serating the floor

Reply to Granite Tile - G654 Padang Dark Granite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks