Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Granite Tile - G654 Padang Dark Granite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

shaic

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could advise me on a problem i have been having with this G654 Padnag Granite tile.

We had this tile laid in our kitchen aprox 3 months ago. The tiles were laid and the grouting done there and then.

Once laid, the tiles appeared much darker at first but were a uniform colour.

During the last 3 months, some of the tiles have returned to their original lighter colour whilst others have had "colouration" issues, in that they have streaks, patches and blotches on them of various colours. Some of the tiles look like they have been effected by the sun and gone really pale whilst other have wavy patterns running through them. it just looks horrendous.

We have been advised that this is part of a "drying" process which was supposed to take upto a month. 3 months down the line, we are still concerned that everything still appears to be changing for the worse.

Also as advised, we have applied no sealant as yet which has resulted in stains on the tiles.

Please advise as to what we should do. is there a fault with the tile, the adhesive used or the fact that we haven't sealed yet.

Many thanks

G

grumpygrouter

I'm no expert having only done a few stone jobs but granite taking a month to "dry"???

D

DHTiling

Is it the light grey you have...?

And have you any pics....It sounds like incorrect fixing method..

Also do you know what type of adhesive was used and what substrate was it onto..?

S

shaic

Hi,

thanks for the responses. Originally the men used a grey flexible slow dry adhesive.

They then changed it to grey/white flexible quick dry adhesive

S

shaic

pictures attached

Attachments

• 09092009018.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 09092009025.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 09092009022.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 09092009023.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 34
  • 09092009024.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 39
D

diamondtiling

:yikes::yikes: I see what you mean :yikes::yikes:

At first glance it looks like two or three different colours completely, could it be the adhesive seeping into the tile? it can do that with very light granite if you use a grey addy.
The sun/light is not going to cause that, have you had the tiler/supplier out to look at these?

D

diamondtiling

Looking again, you have 9 light together and then 8/9 darker ones, that really points to different shade numbers which should have been checked prior to fixing. If the tiler had 3 or 4 boxes open and he was mixing them as he went then you would not have big blocks of them the way you do, they would be far more random.

G

grumpygrouter

I may be showing a little bit of inexperience here or even Naivety but I never realised that granite would be that absorbant nor that translucent, that light would show the adhesive through it!!!

D

diamondtiling

It can grumps, I have seen a white granite floor fixed with grey adhesive and you could see the rib marks of the trowel in some places. It all came up.

W

White Room

Hi,

thanks for the responses. Originally the men used a grey flexible slow dry adhesive.

They then changed it to grey/white flexible quick dry adhesive

Changing the colour and type of adhesive dos'nt help

D

DHTiling

Use a moisture meter on the tiles.....if no difference then it is tile shading....but you can also see adhesive shading on the lighter ones....or at least looks like it from the pics.

S

shaic

I have asked the suppliers to come and check it out. they've refused in the past on the basis that they believed that all would be solved in time with the "drying" process. Now that its clear that this is not the case, i have requested once again that they come. they have agreed.

from what is being said, it appears that the colour variations seen is due to a combination of two factors
1. Natural stone varaition
2. Adhesive seeping through and colouring the stone

i must point at that at one point all the tiles were as dark as the darkest ones you see in the pictures, and that only with time have some of them become lighter. Bizarre as it may seem, the tile's colour appaers to be evolving but not always necessarily for the better - like i said, some of the tiles which were once the natural "out of the box" colour now have streaks of white and dark grey running through them.

Please advise on what can/should be done about this.

Many thanks for all your responses

Reply to Granite Tile - G654 Padang Dark Granite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks