Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting paving slabs outside in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simonb43

Hi All, Any advice appreciated on how to lay tiles outside onto a concrete base. All ready to go, approx 55m2. What type of fixing to use is my main concern, i assume all normal setting out rules apply. Plus, what do i use for a 'grout'. PS they will not be tiles, they will be paving stones approx 400mm x 400mm

Last edited by a moderator:
S

simonb43

Yes, that right. Sorry for the late reply, been busy. Would like some good info on this please !!

W

White Room

The concrete slab, is it just a tamped texture on the surface or has it been smoothed over..

How thick is the concrete slab..

D

DHTiling

Pre-cast or proper stone..?..

A mortar mix with SBR added for flexibility and bond strength.. but for pointing then what are they..?

S

simonb43

Sorry, i really don't know what they are, just cheap slabs from B & Q probably, been advertised in the papers recently. Didn't think there would be that much involved in it really. Keep the replies coming, i'm going to do this !!

G

GC-Terrazzo

lay them with sand/cement and use a cement slurry for the back of them i did my slabs like that on my old house, i think most people just use sand but doing them that way is no good as they can move and sink over time.

G

gixer

Compacted paving sand is best , as long as you have your sub-base well enough compacted they should never subside . when you have screeded your compacted paving sand take a small dish out of where the middle of each flag goes , this will allow for the bottoms of some of theflags are slightly convex . Hope this makes sense .

Gixer

Reply to Fitting paving slabs outside in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen