Discuss First time tiler - porch floor pics in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
image.jpg
Hi guys. I’m going to give tiling a go on my small porch floor, I’ve had a new door fitted and I’m looking to change the floor now. I’m guessing ceramic is fine for this? Any ideas if I need to prepare the floor or can I just go straight onto this floor?

C

Chris wheela

Are you planning to tile onto the existing tiled area and also the concrete area next to the door?

Yes the whole area, the existing tiles and the concrete. Will I need to prepare these areas differently? How should I start?

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Are the concrete strip and the existing tiles at the same height level as each other at the moment? And also what is the width of that concrete strip?

What is underneath the tiles? Concrete?

If you don't know, do you know how long the tiles have been down for? Looking at the picture, they are in good condition with no cracks. Is there any cracking in the grout or any of the tiles?

Also, if you were to tile over the existing tiles, do you have enough room at the door threshold to allow for the increase in floor height?

If they are suitable to be tiled over, you will need either a soft joint where the tiles meet the concrete (so rather than grouting that joint, you'd silicone it instead with a colour matching silicone or install a pre made expansion strip, but that would look ridiculous in there). Or use a decoupling membrane as the concrete and tiles will likely expand and contract at different rates and movement at that joint, could cause stress in the tiles and crack the tiles you put down.

I believe the decoupling membrane would prevent that from being an issue and in a small porch, wont cost you a lot of money at all.

Personally if the tiles are sound and solid and height allows, i'd prime the whole floor with tilemaster prime+ grip, then lay your crack mat on top of this and then tiles on top of that. Tile the whole area, grout the whole area, except for the edges of the floor which you should still silicone (to allow for expansion).

Of course if anybody disagrees with this approach, please do advise. I've only been going a couple of years and don't profess to know it all whatsoever.

Good luck with your project

Reply to First time tiler - porch floor pics in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks