Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Failed floor dot & dab in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Attachments

• BAF13BB5-E94A-4C19-842A-297A915BD7C0.jpeg
    BAF13BB5-E94A-4C19-842A-297A915BD7C0.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 70
  • 9A677A57-819B-42F7-9A91-16BFEF96ECF6.jpeg
    9A677A57-819B-42F7-9A91-16BFEF96ECF6.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 70
OP
T
Reaction score
No another contractor screed the floor, laid the underfloor heating panels and then put Cellecta screedboard on top. he also didn’t prime the screed board prior to fitting the tiles, and didn’t back butter them either, or use a notch trowel

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The tiles haven’t been fixed properly. On a positive note it’s probable that the tiles will come up easily and be able to be rescued

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
total mess, and unacceptable, if he won't come back and fix it I hope you sue the pants off him, idiots like this shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a tile insulation, and if he's always tiled this way, then he's been doing it wrong, and I dread to think of the trail of destruction he's left behind.

was he actually a tiler or a builder or multi trader ??

finlay

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this ,no option but to rip up and start again. The tiles hopefully should come up easy and you could save most of them .Makesure you get a proper tiler to re tile ,plenty of good tilers on here who maybe able to help .All the best going forward .

D

Dumbo

Did you contract the tiler , or was he supplied by by a third party
[automerge]1581098834[/automerge]
Who has lifted the tile for you

H

hmtiling

I'm guessing the celecta screed board is floating. I've tiled on this before, properly though, but can't offer a guarantee. His methods are certainly poor but might not be the only reason for failure. A floating floor system was a bad choice for a tiled finish

Reaction score
Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Last edited:
D

Dumbo

Do you know what , we always have british standards mentioned more usually by ourselfs than visitors to this site and i only think it only serves to fudge the issue , as ive said before its not law ,you wont go to jail, its not even building regs , ie new houses are getting built without tanking in wet areas and building control dont care , now what im getting to is this , if a bs non compliant job is done and hasnt failed should it be redone , or if a job that is done to british standards and fails could the tiler say , it was done to bs its your problem now ,
What it should really come down to has it failed yes/no
Is it acceptable yes/no

Reply to Failed floor dot & dab in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock