Search the forum,

Discuss external corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
how do you plan setting out for external corners?? is it acceptable to use cut tiles or do you try to use full tiles. what if the walls are not plumb.... ensuite to do and was wondering if cuts are ok

G

Gazzer

Its all to do with setting out but yes a full tile on the corner looks best but not at the expense of having small cuts else where.
Spend 2 hours setting out with pencil marks on the wall before you fix 1 tile or you may spend years regretting it.

Reaction score
thanks for your help.. i will get it right and will probably spend 2 to 3 hours working it out. first big money job. so out to impress. thanks again and good night

T

Tilestiles

As stated in previous threads, setting out can be the making or breaking of a good job so take your time doing this and you will reap the benfits as the job will look right at the end. Cant stress how important good setting out is for the overall finished appearance of the job!!
----
External corners should be beaded and are normally finished with tile trim. Providing cuts are nice and straight, tile trim and grout finishes them off fine. If wall isnt plumb, then measure widest gap and cut all tiles same width to square things back up. Then edge with correct size trim. Build up tiles on adjoining wall for a nice neat square finish. (Hope that makes sense!!)
----
Where are you Connors?? Am I correct in thinking you are from warrington??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
i am in widnes mate... just starting out. still working at the minute and havent packed my job in yet. very slow at the minute. every job so far has had loads of problems. i can understand why so many people pack it in... will ride the storm and reassess in 12 months..

T

Tilestiles

Good luck Connors. Improvements and speed will come with experience mate. Look at all the good advice you can get off people on here and if you take it on board you wont go far wrong!!

Reaction score
yes i did the pts course in warrington. course was very helpfull. but at the end of it you are starting the learning curve.. it is just the basics really and the rest is all crammed in. i could do with going out on the job with someone for a bit of hands on knowledge really

G

grumpygrouter

yes i did the pts course in warrington. course was very helpfull. but at the end of it you are starting the learning curve.. it is just the basics really and the rest is all crammed in. i could do with going out on the job with someone for a bit of hands on knowledge really
Did you do 2 or 4 weeks?

Grumpy

E

enduro

Just keep asking questions we are all here to help, it does take time but you will get there in the end, it takes a year or so to build up speed. I have been tiling a couple of years now, i don't advertise just work for a few builders, architects and plumbers. I had five bathroom jobs today from one plumber for next month. Just take your time setting out, and make sure your attention to detail is very good. Im not the fastest tiler i just make sure my job is 100% first class.

Reaction score
how are you doing now grumpy????? are you confident on any job. and how did you go about having the confidence to take on buggered walls... is packing out ok and all about having the bottle to try it

G

grumpygrouter

how are you doing now grumpy????? are you confident on any job. and how did you go about having the confidence to take on buggered walls... is packing out ok and all about having the bottle to try it
Still learning like almost everyone else on here, but I just go and have a look at the job, take my time and hopefully make a good judgement of what is required. I have learned a huge amount from the forums. I am confident in my knowledge of what is required but that is not the same as actually doing it. Hand skills are different to knowledge. These get better the more you do and at the same time you can refine your knowledge in relation to the job you are doing or have just finished.

Uneven surfaces are the hardest thing I find to get to grips with. The first thing I really look at in detail when I am pricing a job now is condition of the surface. It is soooooo important. If it is not good before you start, you have to make it a suitable as you can. Makes the actual tiling that much easier.

You can only "pack out" so much! If you need to put 10mm of tub addy on the wall, it will crack when it is drying so you need to straighten the wall first by what ever method you find most suitable. Skimming with rapid set is usually sufficient.

Grumpy

Reply to external corners in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen