Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion joint in Roma Opus or French Pattern Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gontarek

I have a problem. We want to put a continuous Opus or French pattern of Travertine down in our new extension and kitchen (10m x 3.5m). However the problem is that the extension has a new concrete floor with UFH (ready to use but not connected yet) and the old kitchen is suspended timber, so obviously an expansion joint is required at the interface between the two substrates. However this is a straight line, but the whole point of having a pattern is not to have straight lines:dizzy2: Are the two irreconcilable ? or is there a solution ?

I guess what I am asking, is it it possible to have a non-straight expansion joint across the floor ? Based on useful advice in a previous post, I was going to use NoMorePly on the timber floor and self-level the concrete area. Am I going to have to break the pattern with a straight joint or would it be possible to run an expansion joint across a staggered set of tile edges ? The only way I could see it being remotely possible is by overlapping some of the No More ply on to the concrete, but cutting it to the shape of the tiles that do overlap from the timber onto the screed.

Then running short lengths of expansion joint along the edges of the interlocking tiles - one set on the concrete, the other on the NMP. I guess the danger would be to those tiles sitting on the NMP that overlap - but what if I don't fix these bits of NMP to the concrete ?

Is there an alternative solution to this - is something like Schluter Ditra a solution ?

Or is this simply :mad2:

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

The problem you will have is that the two substrates join in a straight line. The expansion joint really must follow the line of the substrate joint. Ditra would only be suitable if the timber floor was absolutely solid with zero deflection. If this was the case then ditra would certainly help but Schluter themselves say that you should follow expansion joints through this too.

S

smurf21

:thumbsup:unfortunatly even with the no more ply you would have to follow the original split in the substrates for the expansion otherwise there is no point putting one in at all.but if you could set your pattern out so that mostly straight joint fall on the split you could split the est of the tiles keeping the joint the same width as the tile joints and use a silicone sealant the same colour as the grout ie mapei jasmine 130 grout and mapei sealant 130 jasmine.

C

CBTC

Where the introduction of a profile movement section is a no no - often on domestic, 'design critical' floors - an enlarged cross joint that is silicon filled is the only answer to accomodate movement - especially between solid and suspended floor areas.
Where there is anything but a straight course layout used, the silicon fill can follow through the joint pattern, to try and 'offset' the movement, and yes an uncoupling matting throughout would be necessary to even bother with this, and would not guarrentee succcess. It is a compromise and has to be done on advisement that this can fail due to the movement and a crack appear across the tiles over the moving seam.
Should that occur it has to be accepted that in that circumstance on that floor this compromise is not good enough and remedial work carried out to take out the affected tiles, a movement section put in and the re-tile done. If thats accepted by all then remember to buy an over amount of tiles for that eventuality so batch differences etc are not a problem.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Here is an example of a movement joint in a doorway in travertine, siliconed up to match tile. Try and set out your pattern so most of the grout joints are over the transition Image189.jpg

G

gontarek

Here is an example of a movement joint in a doorway in travertine, siliconed up to match tile. Try and set out your pattern so most of the grout joints are over the transition View attachment 4168

That actually looks quite good. I wonder if I would get away with doing something like that across a room ? Was this just silicone on its own, or is there something like a Schluter movement joint embedded there too ?

Of course my other option, as pointed out by others is to play with the pattern and just create a straight grout line where the two substrates meet. Not sure how that will look in the pattern as whole though - time to play with some paper tiles....

Steve

G

gontarek

Here is an example of a movement joint in a doorway in travertine, siliconed up to match tile. Try and set out your pattern so most of the grout joints are over the transition View attachment 4168

That actually looks quite good. I wonder if I would get away with doing something like that across a room ? Was this just silicone on its own, or is there something like a Schluter movement joint embedded there too ?

Of course my other option, as pointed out by others is to play with the pattern and just create a straight grout line where the two substrates meet. Not sure how that will look in the pattern as whole though - time to play with some paper tiles....

Steve

Reply to Expansion joint in Roma Opus or French Pattern Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen