Currently reading:
ever told a customer you hate the tiles they picked?

Discuss ever told a customer you hate the tiles they picked? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

last summer i installed a bathroom for a great couple who have now decided to change most of there tiling. they spent a lot of money on there bathroom and were pleased with the workmanship but at the end of the job i was having a joke and said i hate the tiles i've fitted. 6 months later i got a call to tell me that i was right. and the tiles now make her feel sick. i'm gutted for the customer as i feel this wouldn't have happened if i'd kept my big mouth shut.
pictures below what do you think?
ps. the recess in the bath panel was my idea and think it really doesn't help matters.
any thought would be appreciated cheers...
Richard

IMG_7075.jpg IMG_7077.jpg IMG_7078.jpg IMG_7088.jpg IMG_7089.jpg IMG_7091.jpg IMG_7079.jpg

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I always tell the customer that "I have, or my family has" them tiles.........being doing that for years.

Never told a customer that there tiles are orrible, although they often are.

Sounds a bit like the QVC presenter that always has the product they are demonstrating!!!

I like the tiles and love the tiling. JOTM maybe?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I actually knocked back a job once because i didnt like the tiles, wavey edge floor tiles 30x300, just told him i was too busy, the job would have been to mush of an effort as i had no appreciation of the finished article. Would never dream of knocking work back now though, when i look back i sometimes kick myself! We are just tilers, not interior designers!!

I would beg to differ Mark, we are tilers, not just interior designers.:lol:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
last summer i installed a bathroom for a great couple who have now decided to change most of there tiling. they spent a lot of money on there bathroom and were pleased with the workmanship but at the end of the job i was having a joke and said i hate the tiles i've fitted. 6 months later i got a call to tell me that i was right. and the tiles now make her feel sick. i'm gutted for the customer as i feel this wouldn't have happened if i'd kept my big mouth shut.
pictures below what do you think?
ps. the recess in the bath panel was my idea and think it really doesn't help matters.
any thought would be appreciated cheers...
Richard

View attachment 48226 View attachment 48224 View attachment 48225 View attachment 48227 View attachment 48228 View attachment 48229 View attachment 48230

Way too busy for me mate I'm with you on this one.
Perhaps a few tiles in thickness as a border of some form, meeting one small area that's been done in them. But not the bottom half of a room and then up a shower wall. Too much IMO.

You should tell your customers (after they've paid and agreed it's all a nice job) more often that you don't like the tiles. You might double your workload that way!! (Perhaps don't though you'll get a bad name for it lol)

J

jonnyc

Slightly different take on tiles that are not liked by installer , but i did a job about 15 years ago now up on yorkshire moors somewhere and my client bought genuine antique jerusalem random stone from paris ceramics. It probably cost him £ 400 per sq mt plus vat in those days!!
the whole job had to be done whilst his wife was on holiday and i think he put in a smallbone or wilkinson kitchen as well as a surprise for her return.]
I tried to talk to him about the floor but it was too late as he had bought it and had ripped up a great antique yorkstone floor to replace it with.
and what a surprise it was because I was there applying the last seal as she walked through the door a bit earlier than expected on that final day and she went nuts with her husband.
goodness knows what happened after that.
I hope that someone from that area will be able to remind me of the very famous building contractor for that region. it had been his own house.

Reply to ever told a customer you hate the tiles they picked? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement